August Indy cruise from Southampton

If you don’t want to share your holiday with lots of kids then avoid August. Forget going in hot tubs, lifts are a playground and as the cruise goes on pockets of gangs form. I avoid school holidays like the plague and Southampton departures seem to be the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed from Southampton many times and usually try to avoid school holiday because of reports about loads of children, bad behaviour etc. However last year we were on Navigator out of Southampton in Oct half term break, we wanted a short trip and I didn't check the school dates.

I was pleasantly surprised, yes there were children but we did our usual late dinner, chose the solarium etc and didn't find it an issue at all.

August, May however be different!!!

We've cruised from Southampton 3 times in the school summer holidays-not by choice but I work term time only and have no choice.

Last year on Indy there were 1100 under 16's onboard and by the end of the cruise when friendship groups had formed we did feel overrun. We experienced large groups of teenage boys taking over the solarium, food fights with food being thrown onto the promenade, kids running down corridors at 3am, gangs sitting on stairs and refusing to move. You get the picture! It was even worse 2 years previously on Explorer. We wrote to RC and had a call from the US asking us for more details-not that anything came of it.

This year we are flying to Barcelona and cruising on Vision-hoping for less children as it's a smaller ship. My advice-if you have the choice do not do an August departure if you want peace and quiet.

We have cruised from Southampton in July& August several times - each time we had our boys with us and we have tolerated the numbers of teenagers on board (they have loved it!) Its not ideal though, so we'll avoid UK school holidays now that our boys are older. Aug 31 will be fine as it falls outside most UK school holidays

Thank you gooners and smally. I haven't booked yet but this cruise is under consideration.

We took this cruise on Navigator a few year ago and it attracts a very different type of Cruiser compared to the August sunshine cruisers. The cruise slightly overlapped into term time so this meant less kid and the kids on board were well behaved.

Norway has so far been my favourite cruise.. highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Forums