Cruise ship passenger active excursion options?

poohbeargirl2009

We are sailing in two weeks on RCL and stopping in San Juan from 7:30am to 2pm. I am not sure if tours have just sold out or the ship is not offering much. The only active excursion they have listed is the horseback riding. We have already seen the forts and the beaches numerous times. Assuming the snorkeling here is subpar? What if any private excursions might be available for an adult and two teens that is active. We wanted to go to El Yunque but not sure it is open yet.

Thanks!

Lindsay

We are sailing in two weeks on RCL and stopping in San Juan from 7:30am to 2pm. I am not sure if tours have just sold out or the ship is not offering much. The only active excursion they have listed is the horseback riding. We have already seen the forts and the beaches numerous times. Assuming the snorkeling here is subpar? What if any private excursions might be available for an adult and two teens that is active. We wanted to go to El Yunque but not sure it is open yet.

Thanks!

Lindsay

With a stop that short the options for good snorkeling are basically none existent. Remember that most "nature"-based excursions depend on how well the area has recovered from the hurricane damage. I know there's a company offering zip-lines at the base of El Yunque and there are independent operators also offering tours to the outlying parts of El Yunque. However, I don't have any idea if they're back up doing those tours. You're going to have to do some digging on that subject. El Yunque in itself is partially open. But you only get to drive up the La Coca Falls which is just roadside. Of course, foliage recuperation is still a work in progress so don't expect to see the dense treetops and abundant shade that used to be there. Most (if not all) of the trails are still closed to the public.

One of the two places that offer horseback riding is in Luquillo, near El Yunque and has many other activities than the one closer to port (google horseback riding Puerto Rico). I don't know which is being contracted by the ship but the one closer to port is geared more towards the tourist crowd since they don't even advertise much locally (except as a wedding destination).

• 2 weeks later...