Has Princess lowered their prices?

sashas_mom

I've been checking the Princess site because I would like a different cabin than I originally chose through my discount TA. It seems since they've added their book online feature their prices are lower than the discount TA. I've been checking an Alaska cruise. What has been your experience? Have you noticed this too?

sasha'smom

It's possible that the price of your particular cruise has been reduced but in general I find the prices on the Princess site to be much higher than most discount TAs. If the price has dropped you should contact your TA and ask for the reduction. They should give it to you unless final payment has been made and the reduced price is only offered for new bookings. If final payment hasn't been made and your TA will not give you the reduced price, I'd cancel and find another TA to rebook.

I have noticed that you can often get somewhat better prices for cruise/air and/or rental cars by going to the corporate site instead of using Travelocity, etc. Not much less, but a little. On the other hand, the benefit of using these 'consolidators' is that they soemtimes have space that they have previously bought but haven't sold, so you could get an upgrade. What Princess will show you will be only unsold space. For example, recently I saw a BA cabin on Travelocity for $899 (Mexican Riveria, 7 day) while the best Pricess had to offer was several grades higher.

I have noticed that you can often get somewhat better prices for cruise/air and/or rental cars by going to the corporate site instead of using Travelocity, etc. Not much less, but a little. On the other hand, the benefit of using these 'consolidators' is that they soemtimes have space that they have previously bought but haven't sold, so you could get an upgrade. What Princess will show you will be only unsold space. For example, recently I saw a BA cabin on Travelocity for $899 (Mexican, 7 day) while the best Pricess had to offer was several grades higher.

If you are comparing cruise prices make sure that both prices quoted include taxes and fees. Sometimes agencies advertise the basic cruise fare but omit the taxes and fees which can often be considerable. Omitting those facts can give an unfair advantage to those agencies which follow this practice.:(

If you are comparing cruise prices make sure that both prices quoted include taxes and fees. Sometimes agencies advertise the basic cruise fare but omit the taxes and fees which can often be considerable. Omitting those facts can give an unfair advantage to those agencies which follow this practice.:(

I’ve also brought internet prices I’ve found to my TA and she correctly indicated that her prices included all the fees and insurance. Sure enough when I added all the fees and insurance, she actually beat the internet price. So right – buyer beware.

Archived