Princess Charging US citizens for visa to Thailand?

mishfromva

I'm a US citizen and booked on a cruise from Shanghai to Singapore. We have a one day stop in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

I see on the Princess website that they will supply US citizens with a visa to Thailand for the one day stop. I was quoted $56pp. However, I checked both the Royal Thai Embassy in DC's website (http://thaiembdc.org/visas/) well as the American Embassy in Thailand (https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/thai-visas-americans/) of which both say a visa is NOT needed. I called Princess and she checked with the "powers that be" who said that one IS needed and verified the cost is $56pp (in my case x 4 persons)

Who is right? Does anyone know the details of this? Am I missing something? Why would one say it's required and one say it's not?

Thank you for any insight!

Edited by mishfromva

Visa required for Vietnam. Visa not required for Thailand.
Agree. OP you can check at travel.state.gov then click on the country. Tells passport and visa requirements for US citizens.

I have never gone into Thailand by cruise ship, however, I have by air. It has been a year since I was last there, but my recollection is you don't have to get a visa in advance of traveling, but you do have to buy a visa at the airport once you land and before clearing customs. I don't remember exactly what it cost last time. Seems to me was around $25 US.

oops! for the OP....

Last July was in Vietnam on Majestic Princess..... the Visa for Vietnam was charged to our on board account..

...have you paid for your Chinese Visa yet..?

But let's get it correct..... the charge is $55...USD + $1= $56.......you can get your own if you want....but why?