Move from PVP to TA?

stephanie333

Also if you move your reservation from PVP to TA all communications have to go through TA, Carnival will no longer help.

DH and I have a jewel of a TA we've used for years. Booking with her has never cost us more than booking on our own or with a PVC would have. With a TA "stuff" about the basic reservation goes through the TA - like changes in the booking, price drops, or upgrades/upsells. Since we very carefully choose our cabin those things are not a big deal with us. She was especially helpful when we had to cancel for medical reasons 4 days before sailing in December. After an email from me she canceled the cruise, opened the account with the insurance company sending me the forms I needed and resent me any cruise docs I needed to submit to insurance. With my credit card number she takes care of making deposits and after notifying me makes final payments.

Things like buying ship excursions, drink packages, water, Fun Shops, and buying FTTF are all still in the control of the passenger.

Not all TA's are created equal but once I found a good one I've continued to use her.

DH and I have a jewel of a TA we've used for years. Booking with her has never cost us more than booking on our own or with a PVC would have. With a TA "stuff" about the basic reservation goes through the TA - like changes in the booking, price drops, or upgrades/upsells. Since we very carefully choose our cabin those things are not a big deal with us. She was especially helpful when we had to cancel for medical reasons 4 days before sailing in December. After an email from me she canceled the cruise, opened the account with the insurance company sending me the forms I needed and resent me any cruise docs I needed to submit to insurance. With my credit card number she takes care of making deposits and after notifying me makes final payments.

Things like buying ship excursions, drink packages, water, Fun Shops, and buying FTTF are all still in the control of the passenger.

Not all TA's are created equal but once I found a good one I've continued to use her.

Thought by saying "communications" would be enough, guess not.

In my experience, even when you book with a PVP, Carnival will no longer proactively help once you book. We were fortunate to have a responsive PVP when we called with questions but she wasn't going out of her way to manage our booking. If we didn't call, we didn't hear from her unless she was trying to get us to book. I imagine that proactively managing each booking would be difficult with the volume of bookings each PVP makes. I now work for a small travel agency and we offer clients personalized service and attention. If you just want to book and then do everything yourself, then by all means, book with Carnival. Otherwise, book through an agent that books your cruise AND provides proactive, personalized service.

Also if you move your reservation from PVP to TA all communications have to go through TA, Carnival will no longer help.

Unless TA gives you $$$ OBC or other perks, why add a 3rd wheel?

Thought by saying "communications" would be enough, guess not.

You understood "communications" but I've seen over time that a lot of "newbies" do not know what a TA controls and what they do not. Sometimes they're led to believe if they use a TA they can do nothing by themselves.

Sorry if I offended you :D

Totally agree! You have an advocate with a good travel agent. PVPs don't do that. They work for Carnival, not for passengers.

In my experience, even when you book with a PVP, Carnival will no longer proactively help once you book. We were fortunate to have a responsive PVP when we called with questions but she wasn't going out of her way to manage our booking. If we didn't call, we didn't hear from her unless she was trying to get us to book. I imagine that proactively managing each booking would be difficult with the volume of bookings each PVP makes. I now work for a small travel agency and we offer clients personalized service and attention. If you just want to book and then do everything yourself, then by all means, book with Carnival. Otherwise, book through an agent that books your cruise AND provides proactive, personalized service.

That has not been the case with our family. Once booked with the PVP if anything came up on a weekend or at a time the PVP was off we just called the 1-800 number and were always helped.

YMMV

Bill

That has not been the case with our family. Once booked with the PVP if anything came up on a weekend or at a time the PVP was off we just called the 1-800 number and were always helped.

YMMV

Bill

Agree that's been my experience. I'm guessing what they meant is Carnival won't proactively help with price drops etc. whereas they feel a good TA will check for those.

Some might , some won't. We had a local TA who we booked an AI through. WE caught a significant price drop /upgraded room right before final payment. We would have missed out had we not caught it.

Moral is always check yourself, people (PVP's or TA's ) are human and can miss things.

They mention invectives in the first sentence.

Who wants to be verbally abused with foul language by their travel agent, or PVP for that matter? I wouldn't stand for it. I'll keep booking through Carnival direct and hope to speak with a professional agent.

Who wants to be verbally abused with foul language by their travel agent, or PVP for that matter? I wouldn't stand for it. I'll keep booking through Carnival direct and hope to speak with a professional agent.

good one. Gotta love voice to text.

Bill

Agree that's been my experience. I'm guessing what they meant is Carnival won't proactively help with price drops etc. whereas they feel a good TA will check for those.

Some might , some won't. We had a local TA who we booked an AI through. WE caught a significant price drop /upgraded room right before final payment. We would have missed out had we not caught it.

Moral is always check yourself, people (PVP's or TA's ) are human and can miss things.

I've booked both ways, mostly with TA's. I haven't had one that checked for price drops and I wouldn't really expect them to.

If you have a small client base you may be able to do that but with a lot of customers I don't see where the TA would have the time.

Bill