Donations to School or Orphanage... Allowed?

ButterflyGA

When my family and I travel, usually we research a school or orphanage in one of the port of calls, and bring a bag of school supplies, small toys and candy for the kids. Do you guys know if this is allowed in Cuba? I will be contacting the government representatives in Washington, but was curious to know if any one here knew if this is allowed. Any information is much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

From what I have read, you are allowed to bring in $50 pp for “gifts” (do not refer to them as donations). Some people have had absolutely no problems bringing gifts into the country. Others have been told that they cannot bring anything in and have been told to return items to their cabin on the ship. Still others have had the customs officers skim items for themselves (especially gum, candy or makeup) and then allow the remaining items into the country.

In other words, YMMV.

You can bring things and I definitely recommend trying to contact someone down there in advance and know where you are can take your things. One thing to note, although not as difficult when you are flying in with a lot of luggage, you could have some issues at the cruise port if that is all you have when getting off the ship. We had three medium sized bags of art supplies between four of us when getting of the ship in May. Customs took one of our bags, claiming it was "too much". We had a lot of back and forth and I showed him where we were taking the supplies (to a children's summer program) After several minutes of arguing through charades (as he spoke little english and I little spanish), he eventually let us take some stuff out of the bag he took and put it in our other bags, but we did lose a few things.

There is a post from someone that I found while researching things to do in Cuba. This is the link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2631874&page=3. If the link doesnt work

try looking under Port of Call/Cuba...the post was headed "Just came back from Havana used Blexie OMG

She starts the post with saying they went to an orphanage, and how rewarding it was...the poster was

"GeorgiaCat". I would reach out to her and ask where it was and get details! I would love to do the same thing

so if you wish to share the info, it would be so appreciated!