Carnival travel insurance vs. outside travel insurance

GeorgiaMomof4

I see no mention of evac or medical coverage under Carnival’s credit card insurance. You mentioned that in your previous post (#13) and that’s why you buy a separate medical coverage since the CC insurances do not offer that. In fact the CC insurance only offers trip interruption and accident insurance which is not medical payment or evac related. So again, I suggested Nationwide Choice Cruise in my post previously which does have all those things. CC coverage doesn’t even come close.

I literally said that in the first sentence of my post:'):'). Nationwide cruise insurance's caps are lower than the ones offer by Blue Cross Blue Shield at a fraction of the cost because its not comprehensive but also would NOT cover pre-existing because it has to be purchased close to the original payment for that to be even and option. But the separate medical plan only does cover it. And again, many credit cards offer this benefit. Its not groundbreaking new stuff. It was an option for the OP to investigate. Trip cancellation/interruption is minor compared to what the costs of EVAC would be if needed.The Carnival CC offers $1500 pp in trip cancellation coverage, and essentially its free. Also covers baggage lost.

This doesn't work for everybody, its just an option that is catered to what the OP needs, other than the cell phone. I have no idea what she can do there except that it may be covered under cell phone insurance or homeowners. But the cost of the cell phone is minor compared to a $500,000 emergency evacuation.

I literally said that in the first sentence of my post:'):'). Nationwide cruise insurance's caps are lower than the ones offer by Blue Cross Blue Shield at a fraction of the cost because its not comprehensive but also would NOT cover pre-existing because it has to be purchased close to the original payment for that to be even and option. But the separate medical plan only does cover it. And again, many credit cards offer this benefit. Its not groundbreaking new stuff. It was an option for the OP to investigate. Trip cancellation/interruption is minor compared to what the costs of EVAC would be if needed.The Carnival CC offers $1500 pp in trip cancellation coverage, and essentially its free. Also covers baggage lost.

This doesn't work for everybody, its just an option that is catered to what the OP needs, other than the cell phone. I have no idea what she can do there except that it may be covered under cell phone insurance or homeowners. But the cost of the cell phone is minor compared to a $500,000 emergency evacuation.

You have thoroughly confused me. Let’s see.

Carnival CC insurance does not cover Medical payments or evacuation so that’s not helping the OP as far as those things. I’m guessing it doesn’t cover the cell phone either. You also need to charge your entire purchase on it.

Nationwide Choice Cruise does cover those things at a decent amount. Medical $100,000 Evac $500,000, Trip Interruption/Cancellation, Baggage delay/loss, Travel delay, Missed connection, etc. No idea on the cell phone. Leave it in the safe and don’t worry about it. Pre existing conditions ARE covered as long as you purchase the policy prior to final payment which they haven’t made yet.

So I still don’t see where the CC coverage answers their question or would be useful to them as far as medical, evac, and pre existing conditions.

You have thoroughly confused me. Let’s see.

Carnival CC insurance does not cover Medical payments or evacuation so that’s not helping the OP as far as those things. I’m guessing it doesn’t cover the cell phone either. You also need to charge your entire purchase on it.

Nationwide Choice Cruise does cover those things at a decent amount. Medical $100,000 Evac $500,000, Trip Interruption/Cancellation, Baggage delay/loss, Travel delay, Missed connection, etc. No idea on the cell phone. Leave it in the safe and don’t worry about it. Pre existing conditions ARE covered as long as you purchase the policy prior to final payment which they haven’t made yet.

So I still don’t see where the CC coverage answers their question or would be useful to them as far as medical, evac, and pre existing conditions.

It doesn't cover medical, and that's what I have said at least twice. That why she needs a medical only plan that covers what the CC insurance doesn't cover. She already has trip cancellation coverage via her credit card that is well within what most need. As I said, it does NOT have medical plan. A medical only plan cost $30-$50 compared to a Nationwide plan which will likely be near $200 for coverage that she already has for free from her credit card. Again, this isn't for everybody. It depends on how and when they booked and paid. And not all the plans cover pre-existing, and the lookback may be up to 60 or 90 days which can be an issue for some.

We went with Nationwide Choice for our Splendor cruise last month and as we were leaving the plane from LA here in OKC, my husband had a heart attack and they are picking up everything. They have been great to work with, but unfortunately he passed away after 2 weeks of struggling.😥

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

My condolences Live to Dream. Thoughts and prayers with you.

We went with Nationwide Choice for our Splendor cruise last month and as we were leaving the plane from LA here in OKC, my husband had a heart attack and they are picking up everything. They have been great to work with, but unfortunately he passed away after 2 weeks of struggling.😥

I am so sorry for your loss! I know you must be devastated. I am glad that you did have the insurance and they are working with you. Once again, I am very sorry for the loss of your husband.

It doesn't cover medical, and that's what I have said at least twice. That why she needs a medical only plan that covers what the CC insurance doesn't cover. She already has trip cancellation coverage via her credit card that is well within what most need. As I said, it does NOT have medical plan. A medical only plan cost $30-$50 compared to a Nationwide plan which will likely be near $200 for coverage that she already has for free from her credit card. Again, this isn't for everybody. It depends on how and when they booked and paid. And not all the plans cover pre-existing, and the lookback may be up to 60 or 90 days which can be an issue for some.

OK so let me get this straight. You’re telling her to buy a medical only plan which would cover pre existing conditions and doesn’t matter when she makes payments on the cruise. Then she MIGHT have trip cancellation coverage based upon if she charges the entire trip on the same CC that has that. However, if she doesn’t buy the medical plan, then she still has no coverage for the things that are important to her. That makes sense.

Or she can buy the Nationwide plan with which they will be covered for pre existing conditions as long as she hasn’t made final payment. That’s a fact. She will also get all the other benefits like TC/TI regardless of how she paid for it - multiple CCs, gift cards, whatever. That makes sense too.

I still don’t see how I was off topic in saying that the Carnival CC wasn’t my go to card when in fact in that same post I stated CC insurance no matter what card I used would be useless to me and many others that take advantage of the $100 off $500 Amex charges since we oftentimes spread our payments over multiple Amex cards. It wasn’t so much bashing the Carnival Card (although I honestly do feel it’s a very subpar card) as saying that insurance isn’t even a consideration or option. Some people get so defensive about the Carnival card or even a particular brand of anything like the cruise line itself that as soon as you say something not flattering about it, you get jumped.

I really didn't want this thread to turn into a bickering match.

I do appreciate all of your opinions and experiences and you have given me some options to check which

I did not know of before.

Thank you very much!

It wasn’t my intention, either! I hope it all works out and you have a great cruise!

OK so let me get this straight. You’re telling her to buy a medical only plan which would cover pre existing conditions and doesn’t matter when she makes payments on the cruise. Then she MIGHT have trip cancellation coverage based upon if she charges the entire trip on the same CC that has that. However, if she doesn’t buy the medical plan, then she still has no coverage for the things that are important to her. That makes sense.

Or she can buy the Nationwide plan with which they will be covered for pre existing conditions as long as she hasn’t made final payment. That’s a fact. She will also get all the other benefits like TC/TI regardless of how she paid for it - multiple CCs, gift cards, whatever. That makes sense too.

I still don’t see how I was off topic in saying that the Carnival CC wasn’t my go to card when in fact in that same post I stated CC insurance no matter what card I used would be useless to me and many others that take advantage of the $100 off $500 Amex charges since we oftentimes spread our payments over multiple Amex cards. It wasn’t so much bashing the Carnival Card (although I honestly do feel it’s a very subpar card) as saying that insurance isn’t even a consideration or option. Some people get so defensive about the Carnival card or even a particular brand of anything like the cruise line itself that as soon as you say something not flattering about it, you get jumped.

Its off topic because your post literally had nothing to do with the question she asked. I don't care if you don't like the card, it IS sub par compared to others. No denying that either. I'm not telling her to do anything Again, I have said MULTIPLE times that she has options that she needs to research. You're filling this thread with trivial opinions when the OP completely understood what I meant from the original post. Its not up to you or myself to decide what is best. Its just our part to get her the information she needs to make an informed decision based on what her needs are, not your opinion.

She also stated that she made the entire payment on her Carnival Credit card.

Its off topic because your post literally had nothing to do with the question she asked. I don't care if you don't like the card, it IS sub par compared to others. No denying that either. I'm not telling her to do anything Again, I have said MULTIPLE times that she has options that she needs to research. You're filling this thread with trivial opinions when the OP completely understood what I meant from the original post. Its not up to you or myself to decide what is best. Its just our part to get her the information she needs to make an informed decision based on what her needs are, not your opinion.

She also stated that she made the entire payment on her Carnival Credit card.

No she did not. I don’t even see where she has made anything more than a deposit. She said she usually does in post #17, however that’s it. But yeah, I’m done. I gave my advice and it very well could be relevant based on the info that was given. Have a nice day! [emoji846]

LivetoDream, I am very sorry for your loss. Peace & blessings to you and your family during this tough time.