Snuba, anyone?

jankaren

Has anyone tried snuba? Exactly what is it? Any recommended tours on Grand Cayman that offer it as well as snorkeling? I enjoy snorkeling, but the three others in my group do not, so I thought that maybe snuba would be the answer for them. Any info would be appreciated.

My wife and kids tried snuba when we were in Hawaii. Personally, I don't care for snorkeling either. It is too restrictive for me. I want to be able to go down and see the stuff close up and not have to hold my breath. The way it works is there is an air tank in a raft. You are connected to it with a 25 ft hose. On the end of the hose is a regulator, like the one's used for scuba diving. You just breath normally and swim around.

http://www.snuba.com has more information, including a list of snuba providers.

Hey JanKaren,

We did snuba in Barbados, here's a link to a few shots of it:

http://community.webshots.com/album/132208405jOgQUx

You have to blow your ears every few feet down or you get painful ear pressure. You'd think the hoses would interfere but they really didn't, and the crew also helped keeping them out of the way. There are 4 ppl to an air raft, so the 4 have to want to go in the same general direction or they're pulling against each other. Our crew took us to wreck sites that were quite interesting, so we always were going in that direction, and also following the crew who had scuba on. They teach you signs to use underwater ... they never showed us the sign for "sharks" :-)) If you get a leaky mask you're always surfacing to clear it, unless you're one of those stars who can clear it underwater by blowing in it ... when I do that I just get 2 eyefulls of salt water :-( Those shots above were taken with an $8 underwater camera from Walmart, 27 shots. The ship sells them for $30. If you book through the ship it's about $100, and if you book privately it's about $50. We did a ship tour for $100 and a couple with us from a resort who booked it privately paid $55.

-Bob

Archived