Norway/France sold for scrap

bepsf

This picture was taken a couple of days ago. Notice what looks like two holes midship below the water line and the front tip of the bow cut off, and all life boats gone.

To say that it is a sad sight is a gross understatement. What a tragic and undeserved end to this once magnificent vessel. At least I can say I was privileged with the opportunity to sail aboard her twice as the Norway, two of my most memorable voyages.

NYCruzr :(

Does anyone know why NCL has been so silent and secretive on their position with both the end of Norway's useful life and the future of the SS United States? I can't beleive that NCL did not know the fate of Norway and does not know the fate of United States.

I would think it is good public relations to show their loyal customers that they are involved in these projects and share the information rather than have us find these things out from some internet posting!:confused:

NCl won't say anything because they don't want to put false information out. But my dad and I would love to sail on the big U again. Though sadly she probably won't get certified, If she dosent soon its probably the scrapyard for her as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if I agree.

With the pending retirement of Queen Elizabeth 2 there may be a market for a "traditional" transatlantic liner. I've been on Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2. In my humble opinion the QM2 is just a steroided, faux representation of a transatlantic liner, akin to The Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas being a representation of Venice. The "United States" could make a nice replacement/continuation of true transatlantic enjoyment.

The problem is that even they did bother to come up with the money to get the United States back in service, which is probably much more than just building a new ship, it would be nothing like the classic ship it once was.

They would fit her out with a modern super structure, balconies, bay windows, etc. It would be ugly.

Personally, I wish ships like the SS United States and Norway could at least live on and have dignified deaths as artificial reefs. Much better than being butchered to pieces.

Tashmoo

Thank you so much for the blow-up of that photo. I am very surprised and yet depressed to see it. I thought the Indian Court instructed that Alang yard to NOT TOUCH Norway until the court gives the green light.

Based on the blow up, it appears that the Indian breakers are having a field day with their blowtorches.

Thanks again

Mark

At least she'll always hold her place in maritime history forever in all her beauty like all the other great ships.

http://i25.tinypic.com/w8aipv.jpg

Unfortunately, when the Norway is done we'll probably have to start a SS United States breaking thread. I'm sure once this settles NCL will send her off to the breakers as well along with the Constitution and Independence.

That is a really beautiful photo...thank you for sharing that

I have some doubts if the United States would be permitted to be cut apart by Indians in Alang...as far as I know... there is still some concern about her design secrecy from the gov't that permitted her to be the best and fastest at what she did as well as the fact that she was supposed to be a troop ship...so, NCL may decide to scrap the Big U but I think it may have to be done here in the states by Americans...which may be a good thing.

The Indy, well she may be on her way to Alang...no government secrets there.

At least she'll always hold her place in maritime history forever in all her beauty like all the other great ships.

http://i25.tinypic.com/w8aipv.jpg

Unfortunately, when the Norway is done we'll probably have to start a SS United States breaking thread. I'm sure once this settles NCL will send her off to the breakers as well along with the Constitution and Independence.

The Connie escaped the breakers by sinking in the Pacific. Maybe the Indy will follow her when they tow her out of San Fran.

I have some doubts if the United States would be permitted to be cut apart by Indians in Alang...as far as I know... there is still some concern about her design secrecy from the gov't that permitted her to be the best and fastest at what she did as well as the fact that she was supposed to be a troop ship...so, NCL may decide to scrap the Big U but I think it may have to be done here in the states by Americans...which may be a good thing.

The Indy, well she may be on her way to Alang...no government secrets there.

The Big U is on the US National Register of Historic places, but that won't save her from the decisions of NCL who rightfully own her. As far as the US government protecting anything I wouldn't hold my breath. Our own Civil War battlefields have had pieces sold off to developers even when ""protected"" by the National Park system so I wouldn't have any hope for an old ship.

As far as secrets go, those secrets were during the Cold War and are long gone, otherwise the ship wouldn't have been sold to Istanbul in the early 90s. Being a troop ship now would be useless with the kind of modern transportation we have now.

Also the Big U is nothing but an empty shell of steel. The interior is currently nothing more then a series of skeletal steel beams and bulk heads, everything is gone stripped down to the metal. The engines, if anything is left in tact, are probably in the most horrid conditions.

You can scroll around on this page for current interior pics of the Big U. Nice before and after shots of what remains. Even the grand staircase is nothing but bare steel. The whole ship has been gutted.

http://www.planphilly.com/node/1559

The Connie escaped the breakers by sinking in the Pacific. Maybe the Indy will follow her when they tow her out of San Fran.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Someone got on board the Independence in December and took a few photos.

http://telstarlogistics.*****.com/telstarlogistics/2007/12/a-sneak-peek-in.html

Archived