Pros and Cons of staying on the Lido Deck

I have gotten great responses from others on different questions I have asked on this board so now my friends who are coming with us want me to ask questions for them.

1. Pros and Cons of a cabin on the Lido Deck.

2. Is there one pool better than the other and can you swim in January or is the pool not heated enough?

3. Do you need to bring your own towels?

4. What are capers?

5. Is all entertainment on the same deck?

6. For those on lower decks how do you get from one deck to another?

7. Shorts----do or don't wear shorts ?

8. Temperature at night on ship. Do you need to bring sweater or heavier or do you not need anything?

9. How will you know when you are nearing the islands?

10. Last for now I hope......do you have to pay for any of the food or drinks on the ship? And if so is there something that tells you how much each thing is before you have to buy it? Room services etc?

I think this is all of the questions that they have put together for now.

1 Best part of being on the Lido is being close to the buffets and drinks

2 there are adult pools and kiddy pools and it is usually warm enough to swim the water is cold since it is fresh salt water changed nightly

3 No you dont need to bring your own towels they are provided near the pools

4 Capers are like a daily newspaper letting you know what is going on for that day the times and places also advertising for stuff on sale on the ship very important to read and bring a highlighter to keep track of the things you want to do

5 No shows and bars are on usually 3 or 4 different decks depending what ship if you look at the deckplans of the ship you are on it will tell you where all the entertainment is

6 Stairs definitly the stairs after all the food you need the stairs ok there are elevators too

7 Definitly wear your shorts but not in the dining room they are allowed everywhere else it will get quite warm in the caribbean

8 you will need a sweater for nightly strolls on the deck it is windy and can be chilly also the interior of the ship is airconditioned and some of the theaters where the shows are can be quite chilly so a sweater or light jacket will do

9 When you wake up in the morning and the ship isnt moving anymore LOL they usually arrive in the early hours of the morning it is beautiful pulling into ports

10 no you dont have to pay for your food only if you go to the supper club which only a few ships have and it is extra you have to pay for all your alchohol and pop. Coffee tea juice ice tea punch milk is all free

room service is free but you are expected to tip a couple bucks but it is nice to order first thing in the morning or like my husband late at night he loves his cookies and milk.

Hope this answers a few of your questions :)

Hockeyluver did a great job answering your questions!

I'll just add a couple of my own thoughts to some...

#2 - The pools are filled with salt water daily. I ONLY swim in warm water and have never had a problem on a ship :) It is usually pretty hot out where you are and the water is nice place to cool off a bit. Do keep in mind that these are not large pools like you would find on a land based resort. They are a great focus point for all the activities and a good place to take a dip and cool off. As long as you are not expecting to swim laps or float around I think you will enjoy!

#3 - You should receive towels in your cabin nightly from your room steward. They will take away your used ones and give you fresh ones. These are big "pool" towels, seperate from the towels in your bathroom. You can also get towels on the Lido Deck near the pool area. You sign these out and return them. Just make sure you keep track of your towels because they do expect that you return them to the pool area if you sign them out or to your room. They do charge for missing towels. I have never had a problem with this. You can also take these off the ship on shore excursions.

#4 - your Capers will arrive in your cabin in the evening (when the room steward comes in for turn down etc.) for the next day. A highlighter is a great idea! I always have mine and use it!! I love to read my Capers and mark off all the things I would like to try and make it to while I have my cup of coffee and relax before evening activities. I then take my Capers along with me to breakfast in the morning and scan it again. These make great souveniers of your trip when you return. They always have them out by the Pursers Desk so feel free to stop by and grab an extra if you need one!

#5 - Yup...as previosuly stated this varies from ship to ship. I definetly suggest reviewing deck plans prior to your sailing. It not only makes it easier to find things once you board but it also gives you a great sense of excitement and fun prior to your cruise!

#6 - Plenty of elevators but I also suggest stairs! I always take the stairs (located right by the elevators) with the occassional execption of when I am in a formal gown....then you might find me in an elevator.

#9 - You can review your itinerary for approx. arrival times in port. The Capers will state this as well. Keep in mind that these are approx. times. Are you asking because you want to watch the arrival and docking/anchoring?? If so, I highly reccommend this! It is an awesome thing to see! If that is the case I would suggest planning to rise a little earlier than the stated time. I have found that more often we would arrive earlier than the stated time rather than later. I have wonderful pictures and absolutely enjoyed watching the ship arrive in port! You can always wake up and watch and then go back to sleep!

ENJOY!!!

Oh my gosh you are all so great. You have answered all of our questions on our list and even given me some great ideas.....I had not even thought about getting up to watch the ship pulling into port, but this is one I definitely will have to do so that I can get pictures also. I am glad that I packed a sweater since you all are telling me that it will be cool.....I will print out your responses and send them along to our friends who all got together to ask a question.

Cajun lady - when are you cruising? We will be on the Glory in a few weeks, sister ship to the Conquest, and our cabin is a balcony on the Lido deck. A few cabins back from where you folks all are (I read your cabin locatons on another thread). Look for my review post when I return, or email me and I will tell you all about it. Sorry for all the shuffling you had to do, sounds like you all made out ok afterall! :D

I just got off the Victory and had a room on the Lido deck. I loved being on that deck. It was so convenient: pools, deck, buffet, pizza, etc. There was no noise as you might expect. I cannot think of one negative thing to say - only pros.

I might have to move to another deck....too close to the food....my clothes are already too tight and I have not even gotten on the ship yet.... laughed with a friend, we were going to lose weight for the cruise, sure....I gained 5 pounds......and have not been eating lol.....so probably when I get off the ship, I might have to buy a moo moo at one of the islands to wear the rest of the cruise.....

Jennifer,

You will have fun on Victory's Lido deck. We were in room 9217. It was so convenient. It would be hard staying on any other deck now.

Have fun on your trip! If you go to Karaoke, say hi to Daemiane (the host) for me.

Tina

Archived