Skagway Excursion - HELI-HIKE & RAIL ADVENTURE

Jeter02

We did this excursion many years ago in Skagway on our first Princess Alaska cruise and enjoyed it immensely! To us, yes it was worth it. The hike was a relatively easy hike with beautiful scenery. We boarded a helicopter in Skagway and after about 20 minutes we landed in a clearing (I think there was a total of two helicopters in our group with maybe 16 people). The guide was on the helicopter with us and then we hiked for a couple hours up a trail and back to where we got off the helicopter. After a brief wait, the narrow-gauge rail train stopped and we loaded onto the back of the train for the ride back to Skagway and directly to the ship. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Awesome!!!! Looking for something different, as I was in Alaska last summer. I 've done the glacier treks and dog sledding. This seemed unique and different with the combination of heli, hike, and train, along with beautiful scenery. I LOVE photographing on my travels, and thought this had potential. Thanks for ensuring me.

Did you hike on to the glacier?

Awesome!!!! Looking for something different, as I was in Alaska last summer. I 've done the glacier treks and dog sledding. This seemed unique and different with the combination of heli, hike, and train, along with beautiful scenery. I LOVE photographing on my travels, and thought this had potential. Thanks for ensuring me.

Did you hike on to the glacier?

No, no hiking in Alaska but I am originally from Canada (Alberta) - near Banff/Jasper and have hiked on the glaciers there many times! And yes, I am into photography and as long as the weather is decent, the photographs should be incredible!!!

We did this tour back in 2005. It was one too the best tours we've ever done on a cruise. It was just my mil, fil and bil in laws, my wife and I plus the guide on the trip, so in effect akin to a private tour. The scenery was spectacular, especially the flight in the helicopter. The hike wasn't too strenuous at all and the guide was very informative. On the way back, the last caboose on the train was reserved for the helicopter hikers, so it was just the 6 of us. The guide then pulled out a cooler full of Alaskan beers. The ride down in the train was rather scenic and made all the better with some of the most refreshing beers I have ever drunk in all my life! ;)