Marriage Proposal: Eiffel Tower of QM-2 Commodore Lounge?

Job 534 Clydebank

Where is the best place to pop the question on a marriage proposal?

A) Up in the Eiffel Tower?

B) UNDERNEATH the Eiffel Tower? (I heard a good luck superstion about that)

C) In the Commodore Lounge of QM-2, mid-atlantic, eastbound, at midnight?

or

D) Elswhere aboard QM-2?

Is it a no-brainer, leaning towards the Eiffel Tower? (the persons involved are not particularly Francophiles), or is the QM-2 a fair contender?

"A friend of mine" (not me!) is open to suggestions.

Thanks, to all, in advance

Are they both cruise fanciers? It would not be too memorable if one was queasy or didn't care for the cruising. or maybe it would be TOO memorable!

Commodore- Too public (unless he wants to share the moment with others)

How about up on the forward bow amongst the spare prop blade forest- under a starlit sky!

Eiffel is probably quite memorable- Maybe he could propose in French!

But I like the idea of something that is both special and meaningful to her!

Gee, perhaps Commodore Warwick could announce it over the PA at the noon position fix? <G> (We have come 384 nautical miles, which is not as far as Mary and Bill have ahead of them in their new life together.....)

Karie.

I would choose QM2.

Another place that would be good would have been the WinterGarden. I am not sure if there is anything left of it after the renovation.

Either that or just go to the fantail at twilight. A glass of champagne and pop the question. Do you really care if others are watching? You know she will say yes.

Ed

The ship would have to be QE2, far more steeped in the memories of many hundreds of romances over many years than the new and rather brash QM2.

Steaming through tropical waters on a moonless night with a million stars, somewhere on open deck looking at the ships wake glowing into the far distance.

Of course she will say yes.

David.

I would arrange a 'special presentation' in the Queens Grill Lounge (you need to be Princess or Queens Grill passengers however) at the end of Tea mid-way on a Crossing.

I do not recall the times for Tea but the place is very intimate and relaxed .. tho can be busy. At the end of the Tea service they are cleaning up and getting the bar ready for the evening. I had table companions who enjoyed a bit of later Tea (think it was closer to 5pm vs just opening at 4pm) and several afternoons we were the only ones left (WAY forward in seats along the windows near the bar end) and the place was empty and the bartender working alone getting ready. We were never bothered or rushed.

Arrange for a 'late Tea' and plan to just sit around for a while. Perhaps arrange with the bartender (by mid-Crossing you should know him well anyway) to 'find' something behind the bar that the Tea staff may have left behind ... perhaps a silver tray with some fresh strawberries and a mystery blue (Tiffany) box.

I am certain the Queens Grill Lounge staff would love to create this moment.

Advantages. No weather issues to worry about. Late afternoon so you can enjoy a wonderful dinner afterwards (btw if in Queens Grill arrange with the staff to seve an extra-special dinner that night .. off the menu ..even off ala carte at the Chef's discretion!).

I guess with the 'doing it at midnight' do you really expect to get ANY sleep that night? Earlier in the evening ... at least you can PLAN to stay up all night if you want!

I love the afternoon tea idea! I was just on the December 8 Caribbean cruise on the QM2 and my partner proposed to me whilst we were swimming in the sea in Barbados-he had thought of doing it aboard the ship but actually they way he did it was just perfect!! And of course I said yes! Now we have an excuse to go back to Barbados!!

May be worth mentioning that if you are dining in Britannia they can arrange cakes for special occasions. My partner surprised me with one for our 10th anniversary of being together- apparently they serve lots of these chocolate creations every day and are happy to do so! JUst a tip in case you are not in the Grills accomodation.

If the weather cooperates, a window table at Todd English, eastbound, at sunset (the sun sets over the fantail), can be an extraordinarily dining experience--certainly on par, if not exceeding, with other "experience" dining like the old Windows on the World. It was the highlight of our September 05 crossing.

However, getting this right could be tricky, for a few reasons:

1. There are only a few tables next to the windows. Reservations on the early side and a discussion with the MD will help. Also, reserve as soon as possible after boarding.
  2. Ideally, the sun would set at the right moment. Timing could be a bit difficult, as it is somewhat dependent on clock changes and the selected route. Fortunately, sunset tends to be late in July, especially at higher latitudes. A discussion with one of the navigating officers could pinpoint the time. Also, perhaps the Purser's office might know.
  3. The greatest uncertainty is the weather. Heavy clouds could mean a succession of gray tones, and not the desired effect. Our experience was that the first half of our trip (in September) was clearer than the second. Perhaps others might comment on their experiences.

Best of luck to your "friend," whatever his decision.

I would arrange a 'special presentation' in the Queens Grill Lounge (you need to be Princess or Queens Grill passengers however) at the end of Tea mid-way on a Crossing.

I do not recall the times for Tea but the place is very intimate and relaxed ..

Is this the same Queens Grill lounge that I know? It's horrible at tea! Full to bursting.

To be quite frank I'd rather be in the Queen's Room for tea.

(We normally take it upstairs in our cabin)

If he is sure he wants to do it on the ship - how about just before sailing, with champagne, in the Queen Elizabeth Suite - which she didn't know about until she was on board?

(That was my plan, but I couldn't wait - turned out to be the Savoy instead!)

Being female and an incurable romantic I'd say that, if it were me, on the boat deck at either sunrise at sea (if she's a morning person), or sunset. The lighting on the ship and/or cloud cover at night can obsure the sky so starlight isn't always predictable. Also, there can be a lot of activity on deck (especially the upper decks) at night. I went to 13 deck one night to look at the stars only to be greeted by a 8 foot by 12 foot video feed of the G32 nightclub complete with pounding music, being projected on one of the hull of the regatta bar . Not very star-gazey atmosphere.

Tell whatever staff/crew that might be of help what you plan to do and they will certainly help you pick the best place for your moment. They'd probably also go the extra mile to make sure it's as special as possible. Expect miracles from these people. They are FANTASTIC at customer service.

Archived