Precruise Stay

Hello!

I’m planning my precruise stay for this summer. I fly in solo 10 days before the cruise into London and am considering The Cotswolds, Oxford, and York in addition to London, though haven’t locked anything in yet. I won’t have a car so I’m dependent on public transport. I’m getting a bit frustrated trying to figure out the logistics and came across some short coach 2 and 3 night summer breaks. I’m looking for possible recommendations in either:

1) using rail and good accommodations close to public transport for the Cotswolds, Oxford and York

2) short breaks (2 or 3 nights) using reputable coach companies out of London that may go to these areas

3) London hotel areas that are close to public transport that are relatively safe for solo female travelers

I stayed close to the old American embassy last time I was in London and never left the city so I’m interested in getting a bit more of England this time before my British Isles cruise.

Denise

Hello!

I’m planning my precruise stay for this summer. I fly in solo 10 days before the cruise into London and am considering The Cotswolds, Oxford, and York in addition to London, though haven’t locked anything in yet. I won’t have a car so I’m dependent on public transport. I’m getting a bit frustrated trying to figure out the logistics and came across some short coach 2 and 3 night summer breaks. I’m looking for possible recommendations in either:

1) using rail and good accommodations close to public transport for the Cotswolds, Oxford and York

2) short breaks (2 or 3 nights) using reputable coach companies out of London that may go to these areas

3) London hotel areas that are close to public transport that are relatively safe for solo female travelers

I stayed close to the old American embassy last time I was in London and never left the city so I’m interested in getting a bit more of England this time before my British Isles cruise.

Denise

Are you aware there is a direct train between York and Oxford? So doing London, York and Oxford as a triangle is very easy. Just don't travel by rail on a Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hello!

Denise

Despite the initial appearances of English gentility that you might expect, York can be absolute carnage during summer with stag and hen parties decending on the city. So I'd advise avoiding the really cheap hotels (travelinn, premier inn, the cheapest b&b"s etc) if you want to get any sleep at all especially on a weekend.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The Cotswolds, Oxford, and York are not places that a local would link on a week's visit, as Oxford to York is a good 3½ hour train ride, so you would need to stay at least one night. If you find a nice hotel or B&B in the Cotswolds, it would make sense to hire a car and explore. Stratford upon Avon, Bath, Bristol (for the docks), and of course Oxford are all within easy reach. If you chose a hire car that could be left at Southampton, you could make a day of it and call at Stonehenge and Salisbury on the way.

Of course, York is well worth a visit, especially for the Railway Museum, York Minster and the Viking remains. Your real problem is that there is so much to see that you will have a hard time choosing.

It really depends on your budget and your interests.