Daughter and her fiancee going on their first cruise

celbercrz333

Our daughter and her fiancé are doing Carnival Elation out of Jacksonville, FL. It will be their first cruise. They are doing the Freeport-Nassau trip. Do you know if there is a formal night? Hubby and I haven't cruised since 2004, going on Fascination. Any tips I can pass along to them would be helpful.

Yes, there is always a formal night. One on shorter cruises, and Two on longer (like 7 day) cruises.

The "formality" of these has dwindled in recent years though. You can of course dress to the nines if you like and many do. Or you can go as simple as a nice pair of dockers and button up or polo for the men and a cute sundress for the ladies.

They should have a dining choice, either late, early or your time. Late seating & early seating are "assigned" times that you need to be at dinner if you miss your assigned time you need to eat elsewhere (like the buffet). Your time allows you the freedom to eat in the dining room at any time during their normal dinner service (usually like 5:45-9:30ish). They should make sure get their choice in for this.

Also, another thing relatively new they will want to know is about arrival times. There are now "timed" entries for the terminal. You can pick what time you want to arrive under "Manage my cruises" or one will be assigned for you. You will not be allowed to enter the terminal before this time (you can go in after, just not before). So, they need to try to get their time picked for this too, to coincide with when they expect to arrive. Again, this is just entry time to the terminal (to get in the front door), not boarding the ship time. If they arrive before their scheduled time they will have to stand around outside in the crowds.

Our daughter and her fiancé are doing Carnival Elation out of Jacksonville, FL. It will be their first cruise. They are doing the Freeport-Nassau trip. Do you know if there is a formal night? Hubby and I haven't cruised since 2004, going on Fascination. Any tips I can pass along to them would be helpful.

Yes there is.