Flavors of Punta Cana

Tablet

Has anyone done the above excursion?

General description is a visit to a hand-made artisan craft shop, tour of a local cigar factory, followed by a visit with tasting at a chocolate museum, then off for more tasting of coffee and rum and ending at La Mona, a restaurant at one of the local beaches.

Our group of 4 are trying to figure out if we would be better off booking a private guide and setting our own itinerary.

Have been to DR before but never Punta Cana.

In port from 0700-1700.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Look over at the ports of call board for specific DR discussion. Might find some help there.

Had posted it to the DR site under Ports of Call for about a week with no responses.

Thought I would try here in case someone had something to offer but wasn't checking the DR site?

No worries, it will just add to the adventure of the trip!

Has anyone done the above excursion?

General description is a visit to a hand-made artisan craft shop, tour of a local cigar factory, followed by a visit with tasting at a chocolate museum, then off for more tasting of coffee and rum and ending at La Mona, a restaurant at one of the local beaches.

Our group of 4 are trying to figure out if we would be better off booking a private guide and setting our own itinerary.

Have been to DR before but never Punta Cana.

In port from 0700-1700.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

I haven't done that tour, but in most cases I find you will have a more interesting experience (and better value for your dollar) booking on your own. I have been to Punta Cana 20 times since 2002 and am 99% sure that the local cigar factory, chocolate museum, and possibly even rum & coffee tasting will be done at Don Lucas Cigars/Mundo Authentico as they have all 4 things on site. If you email them (donlucascigars@hotmail.com) you might be able to arrange free pickup as that's what they do at the local resorts - not sure how far the cruise pier is though and if that might affect the free pickup (and return trip) but it doesn't hurt to shoot them an email and see what can be arranged. Don Lucas is definitely worth visiting as they have excellent cigars and the staff there really knows their stuff; you might even get to roll your own cigar (and free samples are plentiful!) I have also purchased larimar jewellery at their jewellery shop and it is excellent quality.

Another idea is to contact Punta Cana Mike's Dominican Adventures (www.puntacanamike.com) and see what you can arrange with him. Mike is a Canadian who has been living in the DR for over 20 years now and runs his own tour company. If you go on his website you will see he has pre-set tours but he will also customize to what you want to do, so if you really want to visit the cigar/chocolate/rum factory, he can take you there on the tour. I know Mike personally and he is a friendly, hard working guy who loves what he does and loves to show off his adopted country to visitors. He will take great care of you!

I haven't done that tour, but in most cases I find you will have a more interesting experience (and better value for your dollar) booking on your own. I have been to Punta Cana 20 times since 2002 and am 99% sure that the local cigar factory, chocolate museum, and possibly even rum & coffee tasting will be done at Don Lucas Cigars/Mundo Authentico as they have all 4 things on site. If you email them (donlucascigars@hotmail.com) you might be able to arrange free pickup as that's what they do at the local resorts - not sure how far the cruise pier is though and if that might affect the free pickup (and return trip) but it doesn't hurt to shoot them an email and see what can be arranged. Don Lucas is definitely worth visiting as they have excellent cigars and the staff there really knows their stuff; you might even get to roll your own cigar (and free samples are plentiful!) I have also purchased larimar jewellery at their jewellery shop and it is excellent quality.

Another idea is to contact Punta Cana Mike's Dominican Adventures (www.puntacanamike.com) and see what you can arrange with him. Mike is a Canadian who has been living in the DR for over 20 years now and runs his own tour company. If you go on his website you will see he has pre-set tours but he will also customize to what you want to do, so if you really want to visit the cigar/chocolate/rum factory, he can take you there on the tour. I know Mike personally and he is a friendly, hard working guy who loves what he does and loves to show off his adopted country to visitors. He will take great care of you!

Great information.

THANK YOU for taking the time to respond.

Much appreciated.