Haven price drop probability and recent experience(s) / possible algorithms

amscene1

I’m looking a a few individual weeks in the haven, all the weeks are now within 60 days.

Week A has 33 Available rooms

Week B has 44 Available rooms

Week C has 17 Available rooms

One question would be, on week C, why is the room category I want the cheapest, there are only 2 left compared to 7+ on weeks A and B.

It seems to me after looking for quite a while that the price algorithms might be from historical data and not necessarily from inventory based data. Not to say that it may be updated closer to sailing or just all the remaining rooms can be thrown in to the “bidding inventory”. If they do it this way, they can protect their prices by not going lower than their preset minimums.

Can anyone chime in with their opinions or logic. Maybe some first hand experiences when it comes to price drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can only give you an informed opinion. Cruise ship cabins are priced the same way that airline seats are priced, using much the same software & algorithms.

I’m looking a a few individual weeks in the haven, all the weeks are now within 60 days.

Week A has 33 Available rooms

Week B has 44 Available rooms

Week C has 17 Available rooms

One question would be, on week C, why is the room category I want the cheapest, there are only 2 left compared to 7+ on weeks A and B.

It seems to me after looking for quite a while that the price algorithms might be from historical data and not necessarily from inventory based data. Not to say that it may be updated closer to sailing or just all the remaining rooms can be thrown in to the “bidding inventory”. If they do it this way, they can protect their prices by not going lower than their preset minimums.

Can anyone chime in with their opinions or logic. Maybe some first hand experiences when it comes to price drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I definitely think the algorithms include in historical pricing along with inventory, time to sailing, available inventory in other class rooms (can I upgrade the existing passengers and fill the lower class rooms if I can’t sell the higher ones), known school schedules, holiday dates, comparable pricing on other lines, weather patterns (hurricane season), along with other things we couldn’t possibly think of.