Crew Native Languages on Infinity?

cfprunner

I want to learn some simple phrases so I can greet and communicate with the Infinity crew in their native languages--or at least a few of the most popular ones.

Anyone remember where the crew tends to be from? I know it runs the full gambit, but if I remember right, the there seems to be a few countries better represented than others.

Here is what the foggy brian recalls--fell free to correct and update this list.

Officers: Greek

Dining Room/Wait Staff: Indonesia?

Spa: Eastern European

Cabin Stewards: ???

There are many languages to sort through. Our assistant maitre'd was from Brazil, our waiter was from eastern Europe, as was the sommelier and the person bringing drinks from the bar. Our assistant waiter and our cabin attendant were both from the Philippines, and every person I met in the spa was from South Africa. Good luck, I loved Infinity.

Your heart is certainly in the right place-how nice to want to communicate with various staff. As there are so many possibilities, though, perhaps it would be best to simply ask the particular crew assigned to you to teach you a little of their language. It's amazing how folks brighten up when you ask a bit about them, their country, family, language etc.

In the meantime, there is always the one thing they all recognize: :) Say it often ;)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

There are many languages to sort through. Our assistant maitre'd was from Brazil, our waiter was from eastern Europe, as was the sommelier and the person bringing drinks from the bar. Our assistant waiter and our cabin attendant were both from the Philippines, and every person I met in the spa was from South Africa. Good luck, I loved Infinity.

I think you must been on my cruise!!:) Aur Assistant Maitre'd was also from Brazil, Both our waiter (Latvia) and his assistant were from Eastern Europe (Croatia I think) as was our sommelier (Hungary). It was the last cruise for both the assistant waiter (to go home and start his own restaurant) and the sommelier (who was taking a break before coming back for another seven month stint). Our cabin attendants were Phillipino. Very interesting variety of cultures and excellent service from all.:) :)

They may speak more languages on a Celebrity ship than at the UN.

Cabin steward - India

Waiter - Phillipeans

Asst. Waiter - India

Asst. Maitre'de - Croatia

another asst. Maitre'de - South Africa

Bar Waiter - Sri Lanka

Cellar Master - Columbia

I remember on the cruise I went on as a kid in the 70's, and even my Honeymoon cruise to Alaska in the 90's, most of the crew were one nationality, and often their mastery of English was very limited.

With an international crew, they all have to speak English to each-other, so I think that their command of the language is much better.

In response to the Original post, I would just wait till you are on board ask your service people when you meet them, or when you see them at different times "How do you say 'good morning, good evening, good night... ect..in your country." If you have a note book with you, you could even write it down. I think that they will really appreciate your taking an interest in their language and culture.

Archived