Decks/Rooms

Mother of the Bride,

Congrats on your MOBT status! As a future bride and previous cruiser, you should consider a couple of things:

1) How much $$ you want to spend;it's definitely worth it to get the oceanview on up....inside cabins are smallest and you're more prone to "cabin fever" and you have no view of anything. It doesn't cost much more for an oceanview and the view is worth it. As for suites and balconies, it depends how much time you'll be spending in your cabin...if you don't plan on spending much time in the cabin (sleep & showers) it doesn't matter that much. On the other hand, if you'll be hosting little cocktail parties in your cabin, you'll need a bigger cabin with a seating area.

2) How many people in the cabin (do you need bunks, adjoining, etc.);

3) The mobility of people in your group....less mobile people should be in cabins close to the elevator....don't put them way down a hallway where they have far to walk to get to the elevator. Check the deck plans and the specific cabins on the cruiseline website. Cabins closest to stairs and elevators are the most convenient to getting to.

4) Speaking of elevators, they are usually crowded at mealtime and the higher up you are, the more crowded the elevator. Stairs are great for avoiding the elevator crowds.

5) Of course, the higher up you go, the further down you have to go to embark/disembark at port as embarkation is typically on Deck 1. Food, on the other hand, is usually on higher decks.

6) Only other thing I can suggest that a website can't is to actually talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruises...they are out there...I am just trying to pick mine now but someone that specializes can give you very specific and practical advice that a website can't...and with all the work ahead of you -- you could unload some of that burden on someone that does it for a living . They do not mark the price of cabins up or anything and a good one can match travelocity, expedia, etc. prices you get online anyway.

That's all I can think of -- good luck with the planning! I am working on trying to get my mother to actually go on our wedding cruise, so I welcome any advice you have.

Carol

Thank you both for the great info. Carol, wish I had some advice for you on getting your mother to go on the cruise. We're having the same issue with other immediate family members. If we figure out how to solve it ... will let you know ASAP. Hopefully, you'll be able to convince her to be there. Good luck.

Don't know if this helps, but when my fi and I first announced having a cruise wedding everyone looked at us like we were nuts and his entire family said they wouldn't be able to attend. We sat down with each side of the family and completely laid out our plans, including price lists, brochures of the ships and shore excursions, the works. Most of the people got caught up in our excitement and said that it was a great idea and would be a lot of fun. One of the biggest detractors a lot of people had was concerns over the cost and when monies would need to be paid. When we explained what exactly they were getting for the money ((all meals, entertainment, cabin, etc), that the group rate we got was well below travelocity or orbitz (which is where they were getting their numbers) and that deposits weren't due for another 9 months almost everyone jumped on board. So I guess it depends why your guests are being hesitant. Noone is our group has ever been on a cruise before, and the uncertainty was making everyone, well, uncertain. But giving them all the information and letting them see pictures of what they were getting into definately helped us.

Archived