Boarding Day Lunch Poll

Will probably eat in Boston before boarding. If not, we'll eat somewhere other than the Windjammer. Way too crowded on embarkation day. Is there a Giovanni's Table on Serenade?

Yes, there is a Giovanni's and also a Park Cafe.

Yes, there is a Giovanni's and also a Park Cafe.

SCORE! I know where we will be if we don't end up eating lunch in Boston.

When we sailed the Celebrity Millennium, we went to Bistro on 5 (which I don't think exists anymore) and ate lunch there. It was so nice to be able to get an adult cold beverage and a delicious lunch with no crowd! In fact, we were the only ones there...such a relaxing way to start off our Alaskan cruise.

I don't believe Vision's Giovanni's is open for lunch on boarding day.

That is unfortunate. On NCL I always go to the MDR upon boarding. Will the cafe in the Solarium be open on Vision at embarkation?

Thanks so much for responding, Clarea. You are always a wealth of knowledge.

That is unfortunate. On NCL I always go to the MDR upon boarding. Will the cafe in the Solarium be open on Vision at embarkation?

Thanks so much for responding, Clarea. You are always a wealth of knowledge.

Yes, Park Cafe is usually open for embarkation.

Last RCI cruise, we were on the Adventure, where they only lunch options besides Windjammer were the Promenade Cafe and paying for Johnny Rockets. We opted for Promenade Cafe... and while less of a s***-show than the Windjammer, it was still really crowded and frankly a disappointing start to the cruise (dinner that night in the MDR more than made up for it, though).

Going on Oasis next, and planning on Park Cafe as our first choice, with Solarium Bistro as a backup if Park is overcrowded (or maybe even Doghouse if it's open/we just want a quick sausage).

In the end, though, I wish they'd do like most other lines and just have one level of the MDR open. In my experience on NCL, even though they open the MDR, it never gets overwhelmed, and most people flock to either the buffet or the other free venues, so I don't think RCI would have a problem of long waits or overtaxed staff at the MDR on embarkation day, even on the Oasis/Quantum class ships, if that is their fear.

Last RCI cruise, we were on the Adventure, where they only lunch options besides Windjammer were the Promenade Cafe and paying for Johnny Rockets. We opted for Promenade Cafe... and while less of a s***-show than the Windjammer, it was still really crowded and frankly a disappointing start to the cruise (dinner that night in the MDR more than made up for it, though).

Going on Oasis next, and planning on Park Cafe as our first choice, with Solarium Bistro as a backup if Park is overcrowded (or maybe even Doghouse if it's open/we just want a quick sausage).

In the end, though, I wish they'd do like most other lines and just have one level of the MDR open. In my experience on NCL, even though they open the MDR, it never gets overwhelmed, and most people flock to either the buffet or the other free venues, so I don't think RCI would have a problem of long waits or overtaxed staff at the MDR on embarkation day, even on the Oasis/Quantum class ships, if that is their fear.

I agree. Going to the MDR on embarkation day is a nice, relaxing way to begin a cruise. I'll be on RCL for the first time on Wednesday, and it will be interesting to see how lunch goes. Based upon what I've been reading, the cafe in the Solarium is the way to go -- pretty much for the entire cruise if you are someone like me who has an aversion to crowds at buffets.