Rain Forest Tours?

Sean&Karen

We will be in San Juan from 7am to 2:30pm. Looking to do something different, educational and fun. I have been seeing images of El Yunque National Forest and it looks beautiful. I am a hobby photographer so the scenery looks breaktaking. RCI offers The Window Cave Adventure, but not sure if that will fit the bill or not.

Are there any companies/tours that take you to the rain forests? Can you recommend a good one that you used? When walking through the rain forests is it usually longer hikes or shorter. I have kids ages 6 and 9 so I don't know how far I will be able to get them walk.

The lush scenery that you might have seen in pictures was greatly affected by last year's hurricanes when most trees were defoliated. Don't be disappointed, nature heals itself and our forests are currently going through that process. You don't say when you are coming down, but it could be a year or two before the lushness returns. In the meantime, you now have a rare opportunity to witness this process as it unfolds, the destruction/rebirth cycle which is part of life in the tropics.

There are many ways of getting to the rainforest, from rental cars to tour companies. I can't recommend any as I am a local, but I'm sure others will chime in, or you can peruse further into this board and you will find plenty of info and recommendations.

Traveling to San Juan the first week of May. So in a couple weeks now. I was there once before, but only enough time to get off the ship and walk around the streets...which was a neat experience, but looking to do something unique with my kids. Considering the forts as well, but them actually seeing the rainforest and things they don't normally expect to see is my goal for this port.

Aviator...you say you are local? I can only hope that the recovery from the hurricanes are moving along and getting back to somewhat of a normal. I can't imagine the devastation anyone has gone through and wish you the best.

Aviator...you say you are local? I can only hope that the recovery from the hurricanes are moving along and getting back to somewhat of a normal. I can't imagine the devastation anyone has gone through and wish you the best.
Thank you very much for the sentiment. Yes, I am a local and yes, the past seven months have been a struggle. But our recovery is coming along well. We've had a successful fall/winter/spring cruise season and many thousands (and approaching the millions) have already enjoyed the island post-hurricanes. We are overwhelmed by the support we have received from all over the world, but particularly from the cruise lines and cruisers that didn't cancel on us. You have no idea how much it means for us that we were not abandoned. Just by coming down and keeping people here busy with their jobs is the best way anyone can help us. For that we will be forever grateful.

I am including a recent article on the state of the El Yunque National Forest (the rainforest). Great signs of improvement.

Take care. And again, thank you for your concern and kind words.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46291065&nid=157&title=puerto-ricos-rainforest-slowly-reopens-to-visitors