To use a TA or not?

redglass

how do you go about finding your good TA? And are good ones necessarily only ones that you visit in person (as opposed to online TAs)?

We are starting to plan a Med. cruise for 2007. Starting in Barcelona and ending in Venice. I'm probalby going to book the cruise when we're on the Constellation in March, and transfer the booking over to a TA to have them work out the air. Starting and ending the cruise in different cities, I'm imagining the TA will better know how to work out air/travel.

Any ideas on how to start my search?

Hi Darren

I did see that Kristina (what a nice and helpful person) provided you with some answers about your planned excursions......I feel bad that I probably walked past her and did not even say "Hello" or "Thank you"......I started reading her comments too late.....after we got back......and just then I realized that she did provide a lot of unbiased and helpful information.

About your question on the "search" .....I also have been looking for this answer ......even that I have seen this question and 'some answers' many times before. I believe there is no one 'good' agent for all of us......some of us want only best price, some want perks, some want control of their booking (and can not have it if they have an agent), some want 'service' but do not want to pay for it, some want the ability to get 'hold' of the agent in an emergency and not 'an answering machine'.......and 'the best agent for me' might not be 'good' for you. so if you find one, please let me know.

But, just a little advice on your booking on the Constellattion: book the air as well.....often on this 'open jaw' (I think that is what it is called) ....the cruise line can provide a lower price then you or TA can find.......and you can cancell just the air later if you find something better.

Wes

When there is a problem....

You are nothing but 1 booking to a cruise line. Your TA can represent hundreds or thousands of bookings...who do you really think they are going to listen to?????

When there is a pre cruise problem, ie, dining arrangements, who is the crusie line going to listen to? Do you really think your membership in their "club" is worth anything whe it comes to solving a problem?

When it comes to booking a gty cabin...for example...are you savvy enough to negotiate a better cabin? My TA never settles until she gets what we want (note, not what we demand, only what we are hoping to get)..never failed yet.

I spent 20+ years in the airline/travel industry..then I got smart and decided to go make money...a good TA forgets more than the average web surfer will ever hope to know. Doubt me? Ok, what is the name of the local Princess rep or RCI rep and what is their private phone number?

When you can answer that question, the the argument resume about the value of using a travel professional.

CGTNORMANDIE - maybe you can email me some information on your TA. I used a TA here for many yrs until I discovered that she really didn't do anything more or special for us than the cruiseline. So on a following cruise we booked with the cruiseline then transferred it to a TA. I used several and none has really done anything extraordinary or exceptional for us. I've been looking for an outstanding TA that I can give ALL of my business to.

Thanks!

Lynn

Is it an internet firm or a brick and morter agency?
It's both, more or less -- a real brick and mortar with a good web site. The combination provides personal service with good search and lookup information. There are a number agencies of this sort out there, and a few of them are "key accounts" for Celebrity. The large volume of Celebrity business that this particular TA does helps get their attention when necessary.

It's both, more or less -- a real brick and mortar with a good web site. The combination provides personal service with good search and lookup information. There are a number agencies of this sort out there, and a few of them are "key accounts" for Celebrity. The large volume of Celebrity business that this particular TA does helps get their attention when necessary.

Thanks for the information. I will try to search the net for a Brick and Mortar TA with a good website that is based in Colorado :)

Interesting.....

Part of the insurance I use is having my -GREAT - T/A book everything.

They deal with the line on a daily basis and know what is up - dicsounts and other specials.

You can email me at tom dot treimel at sign aig dot com

If you want agent information.

Thanks for the information. I will try to search the net for a Brick and Mortar TA with a good website that is based in Colorado :)
The one I'm using is not in Colorado. No one in the Denver area seems interested in the business model I was discussing earlier.

• 1 month later...
When there is a problem....

When it comes to booking a gty cabin...for example...are you savvy enough to negotiate a better cabin? My TA never settles until she gets what we want (note, not what we demand, only what we are hoping to get)..never failed yet.

I need a TA who can help me get a decent GTY cabin. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Archived