Trying again..Flights to PPt using Air New Zealand

bostoncruisergirl

Tried to post this yesterday but i just noticed my other post is blank, duh, let's hope this one works...

We are looking at taking a cruise on thr Tahitian Princess September 06. So far pricing out flights it looks like the least expensive option is to fly BOS- LAX on either Delta or American (about $608 for 2 of us) and then Air New Zealand LAX-PPT ($1647 for 2 of us). We may (fingers crossed) also have enough FF miles to get the BOS-LAX part free. Cheapest air I've been quoted from a TA is $1280/pp from BOS, so $2560 total. The only small issues are the Air New Zealand flight gets us to PPT at 5am and I'm not sure if we'll have enough time between flights.

So my questions are:

1- I'm assuming if we are landing at 5am we would just plan to have booked a hotel room and go crash there until the afternoon when we can board the ship?

2- How much time do we need to allow between out flight from BOS-LA and LA-PPT? 2 hours enough?

3-Is this a good price for airfare or should we book the crusie airfare and hope we can get it for less and then cancel it?

Thank you for your advice!!

First I have two questions-where did you find the NZ flight for that price? And where did you get the idea that it arrives PPT at 5:00AM?

I checked every database I have available to me (3 are paid for my company) and the NZ website and I find NO direct flight LAX/PPT on NZ. All flights are LAX/Auckland, arrival times between 5-8AM. Then at 4:00PM, fly to PPT via the Cook Islands and arrive PPT 1:00AM.

Best prices I found for nonstops-LAX/PPT-Air Tahiti Nui, Air France, and Delta. All in the $1100.00 price range

Hawaiian flies LAX/PPT with a stopover in HNL. Not a bad benefit, if for no other reason than to get out and stretch in a beautiful place. Low $900.00

American prices BOS/LAX/Long Beach or Santa Anna are usually in the $260.00 price range, so your price was right in the ballpark.

If you want to send me the EXACT dates you want to fly, I will see if I can creatively find you a better price.

To answer your question about a 2 hour transfer time-you would be taking a VERY big chance that you would miss your NZ flight. AA arrives terminal 4, NZ flies out of terminal 2. Figure 15-20 minutes to collect luggage, 10-15 to shuttle to terminal 2. You are now down to 1 1/2 hours to check in for an international flight. Check in for interntional flights often closes 1 hour BEFORE boarding begins. There is a tremendous amount of paperwork which must be done before an international flight. So you would really be taking a chance with a two hour connection on two different carriers in two different terminals.

Addendum to my previous post. I found the price you were quoting-web special, not available in published airfare databases. BOOK IT NOW. There were very limited dates available for September (seems like only about 12 days). Seats were limited in that fare class to no more than 6 per flight. It IS nonstop to PPT from LAX, arriving as you said about 5:00AM. Well, for that kind of money, a hotel is well within the budget.

Take the AA or Delta flight and be done with it. Try to allow yourself about 3 hours for the connection. I know the NZ website states 75 minutes, but you may barely have that if you ANY kind of glitch. Late luggage coming off the BOS plane could kill your plans.

Hi Boston Cruiser. Check the dates for the Tahitian Princess...she is arriving in HONOLULU on Sept 6th from an Aug 25th sailing out of FP. Only reason I know is that I have been looking at booking air to PPT for that cruise and back from HNL.

Good luck with your planning.

Guess I should have been more specific in my first post, we're looking at the 9/18 sailing for the TP, would have liked to do Honolulu to PPt but we're going for our honeymoon and that trip's a week too early!

As far as connections times the ANZ flight leaves LAX at 1045pm, I just checked flights again from BOS and if we got into LAX from BOS at 7pm that should be plenty of time right?

thanks!

Sounds like that is enough. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. What a great plan for a honeymoon. I'll have to look at those ANZ flights if they around for the Aug 25th sailing.

ANd like you, I'll be winging from the east coast and picking up a flight from LAX.

Smooth sailing ahead.

Archived