1st Timer with ?s-help please!

jana616

Hi, my husband and I are going on the 1/22 Radiance cruise and I am getting into serious planning mode. I had a couple of questions I am hoping all of you experienced cruisers can help with...

1)Formal night attire-I have seen various other posts about this topic, but here is my specific question. I found a strapless, plum colored, A-line floor-length dress on clearance today at Macy's for $30. It's kind of a ball gown style, but not really poofy at the bottom (no crinoline or anything), if that makes any sense. Sorry to all the guys I just lost there-LOL!!! Is this too fancy for formal night? I know there will be a bit of everything, but I am pretty self-conscious and don't like being the one overdressed (or underdressed) in a room. Also, is one of the formal nights "less" formal than the other? My other dress is a knee length black dress, which is a lot less formal looking. My husband will be wearing a nice dark suit.

2) Does anyone have the Chops and Portofino menus they could post?

3) Bringing liquor on board. Again, I have seen various posts about this topic, and I think I have a handle on the moral/ethical debates of bringing your own. What I would like to know is, if I bring a small plastic bottle of tequila or rum, will it be confiscated? What about a 6 pack of 20 ounce plastic Pepsi bottles (with Pepsi in them!)? And should I pack these in my carry-on or checked luggage at the pier?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I look forward to your answers!

Your dresses sound perfect.............you can change the plain black one with various accessories and use it more than once (don't know how long your cruise is)

and

I've seen people bring on cases of soda...........never been a problem on the three lines we've been on.:)

Haven't ever had them confiscate any small bottles in the luggage, either. By small, I mean pint size.

I've read on here that people have put vodka in water bottles and carried it right on; there are some creative (and helpful) folks on this site.

Have a grand time; you will be hooked on cruising.;)

Ditto on the dress advice.

I had read about all types of "attire" on formal night too but I still wasn't ready for what I saw on that first formal night. I was truely amazed at what people had brought with them. It was nothing to see girls with tiara's on their heads and dresses that would compete with any bridal dress!

I don't think you can say enought that...you will see ALL KINDS of outfits. Yours sound like a very middle of the road choice.

Oh, you're right, the second formal night is not as formal. I personally, think its because by the 2nd night everyone has gained a few lbs. and nothing fits. Keep that in mind and pick the looser dress for the 2nd night (no joke!)

Last cruise we took on 4 bottles of wine and a six-pack of Corona in our carry-on bags with no problem. I wouldn't pack any in your regular suitcases, as they get thrown around and stacked on big carts to be put onboard.

The 2nd formal night tends to be a little less dressy...so, floor length first and "little black dress" second. Yeah I'm a guy, but an observant one! ;)

Can't help with the menu request. Have a great cruise. :)

I personally, think its because by the 2nd night everyone has gained a few lbs. and nothing fits. Keep that in mind and pick the looser dress for the 2nd night (no joke!)

I didn't have trouble with my clothes not fitting at the end of the cruise....it was my *shoes* that wouldn't fit. NONE of them...had to wear flip flops as my feet were like watermelons! Thank heavens I had brought mules for my formal clothes and I was able to shove my toes in them.

Moral of the story....drink lots of water between the bloody marys! :)

Tracy

Put your alcohol in your checked bags and surround it with lots of plastic in case it breaks. The worst that could happen is that they would confiscate it and return it at the end of the cruise.

I bring diet coke on board in plastic grocery bags. It's very obvious what it is. I've never been stopped.

Your dresses sound perfect.

I can't help you with the menu question.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Be careful about putting liquor in plastic. Sometimes the liquor takes on a plastic taste - someone told me they put a very expensive brand of scotch in a plastic bottle and it tasted awful. Just don't want you to be disappointed.

Be careful about putting liquor in plastic. Sometimes the liquor takes on a plastic taste - someone told me they put a very expensive brand of scotch in a plastic bottle and it tasted awful. Just don't want you to be disappointed.

Liquor has been sold in plastic bottles for years. It does not change the taste.

Archived