Dublin to Howth and the cliff walk then back to the Guinness Storehouse?

How long should I expect it to take to get to the Howth DART station from the cruise ship?

We'll be going to Dublin at the end of May on a weekday. The itinerary says the ship docks 11 AM. We'd like to get to Howth, do at least a portion of the cliff walk and get back to the Guinness Storehouse by 5 PM. Is that doable via public transportation?

We were planning on taking the DART from Connolly station to Howth then Howth to Connolly on DART and the Luas from Connolly to James to get to the Storehouse. Is this a reasonable plan?

The Luas now terminates at the Point which is the 3 Arena, very close to the dock. This will take you to Connolly in about 5-10 minutes. On your way back, make sure you get the Luas to the Point, not just Connolly.

How long you have depends on how long you spend in Howth. I think it will be tight and there are better sights convenient to the Luas lines. Enjoy. Ken

Ken, thank you for the feedback. What better sights would you recommend convenient to the Luas?

We're considering Howth because we like to hike and the cliff walk looks like it would be a nice hike.

Off the top of my head, I would recommend Trinity College(Book of Kells), The National Gallery(behind Trinity College), National Museums, St. Stephen's Green, Grafton St., Dublin Castle and its museums, Christchurch etc. Look here for inspiration;

https://www.google.ie/search?q=dublin+tourism&oq=dublin+tourism&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6478j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

• 2 weeks later...
How far is it to walk from Ocean Port 33 dock to the luas line? Is it doable considering it is a commercial port? Thanks for your help.

It took me about 20 minutes. Not a difficult walk. I even did it with my suitcase (on wheels). We were on the Eclipse.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/53.3498456,-6.2176952/The+Point+Luas+Stop,+North+Dock,+Dublin,+Ireland/@53.3497303,-6.227761,927m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670ef038efe31f:0x21223940fa73feb6!2m2!1d-6.2291837!2d53.3483482!3e2

Edited by Eburg
added google map

• 5 weeks later...

Just back from the cruise and the trip to Howth and the walk along the sea cliffs was very enjoyable. The first portion of the walk is a little bit more urban than I expected but quickly gives way to a nice section of more wild landscape. There were quite a few people doing the cliff walk but we were able to have some less crowded sections of trail. There were some very nice views along the way and the day was wonderful.

We easily made it to the Guinness Storehouse before 5 PM and did the walk through there and then had a pint at the top. It was very crowded and people tended to stand close to the windows even if they were not looking out of them. Not the best experience but there were some nice views.