Wheelchair use during land portion of cruise tour

sailaway04

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone has used a wheelchair during the land portion of a cruise tour? My mother has long distance mobility issues and I was going to bring a light weight wheelchair for her to use. Are they able to stow them on the bus and bring it to your room like luggage? I know in some of the lodges you are in out buildings and she wouldn't be able to walk far to get to the main lodge for meals. Any information or tips you have is much appreciated.

Thank you! :):)

I see a number of people in wheelchairs. Most buses can accommodate them and some tours are wheelchair accessible. Allen Marine Tours whale watches are in Juneau. Ketchikan and Skagway have a shuttle bus service around town that eliminates a lot of walking.

Hello all.

I know in some of the lodges you are in out buildings and she wouldn't be able to walk far to get to the main lodge for meals. Any information or tips you have is much appreciated.

A number of the lodges around the entrance to Denali National Park are designed similarly in that they are complexes with buildings for restaurants and gift stores with the lodging rooms in two story separate buildings. But a number of them also have golf cart type shuttles to move those who have mobility problems around the complex. Also be aware that at least one of those complexes by the entrance to Denali doesn't have elevators in the lodging buildings, so those with mobility issues would need to be on first floor rooms.

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone has used a wheelchair during the land portion of a cruise tour? My mother has long distance mobility issues and I was going to bring a light weight wheelchair for her to use. Are they able to stow them on the bus and bring it to your room like luggage? I know in some of the lodges you are in out buildings and she wouldn't be able to walk far to get to the main lodge for meals. Any information or tips you have is much appreciated.

My mother and I were booked on a Princess cruisetour for this year before we had to cancel due to budgetary restrictions.

We filled out a form with the access department for the cruise, because mom uses a rollator for distances. They ask about hotel accommodations on the form so that they can put your mom in the best place for her.

I’d contact your cruise line. Since they are arranging the travel and rooms, they are the best source of info.

Have fun with your mom!

If you're organizing a rental wheelchair, rather than bringing one your mom already owns, ensure that it has 'normal wheelchair wheels' (2 big ones at the back) rather than 4 small wheels (usually the term 'travel chair' or 'transport chair' seems to get applied to these, but not always). We learned through bitter experience than the 4 small wheel versions do not do well at all when off-roading the first time my granny came over to Canada - even bad sidewalks were a challenge! For subsequent visits we rented a 'normal' chair with 2 big wheels - though we did get the smallest wheel size we could find, more like those on a childs bike instead of regular adult-size bike wheels - and it was like night and day when pushing her across gravel, wood chip paths, or grass.

Driver has a lightweight wheelchair that comes apart to a certain degree (arms come off) that has regular size wheels. You can rent locally or buy used if they have one. I pushed my Dad on the cobblestones in Europe and worked out well.