Late Booking Alaska Cruise

rbolanos

I just recently booked my Alaska cruise on Bliss for June 23rd. Im realizing I am late to the game, but wanted to get some advice on excursions. It appears all the really good ones are booked, and may need to go through an outside party. Any thoughts? Also feedback on what might be a must at our cruise ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC). This is my first time to Alaska and on NCL.

I really like the thought of dog sledding. There is one on a glacier that appears to be booked, and another one in the rainforest. Any feedback on these? Also in Juneau, the helicopter onto Mendenhall glacier and the guided tour. Has anyone done this tour, and is the walking difficult (cardio workout) or doable? Thank you.

One of our favorite tours is in Skagway, booking through Chilkoot Tours for their Yukon Rail and Bus excursion (with lunch at Caribou Crossing and puppy snuggling at the Husky camp); we typically take the van up and train back to Skagway.

roblanos it will really depend on what you like, don't be afraid to book through some of the local vendors almost all my tours this summer are. These are some of the things I have done and enjoyed or am excited to try this summer. I am traveling June 22, and just booked a couple of excursions through the local vendors last week. I would not wait to long though they do fill up. :)

Ketchikan- I have done Deadliest Catch Tour (booked direct with them), this year I am trying Island Wings Misty Fjord float plane trip, there are several reputable vendors for this.

Juneau- I have done Whale watching with Harv n Marv, this year just going to wing it may catch a shuttle to Mendenhall and if nice take the tram. There are vendor booths on the dock that will sell tours also..

Skagway-there is the train this year I am booking with Chilkoot Tours for the bus/train combo they use smaller buses/vans, last summer I booked through the cruise line, I have done the Glacier Point Wildnerss Safari it is a great tour (not so sure I may not try and switch to this one again lol) booked through cruise line last time.

roblanos it will really depend on what you like, don't be afraid to book through some of the local vendors almost all my tours this summer are. These are some of the things I have done and enjoyed or am excited to try this summer. I am traveling June 22, and just booked a couple of excursions through the local vendors last week. I would not wait to long though they do fill up. :)

Ketchikan- I have done Deadliest Catch Tour (booked direct with them), this year I am trying Island Wings Misty Fjord float plane trip, there are several reputable vendors for this.

Juneau- I have done Whale watching with Harv n Marv, this year just going to wing it may catch a shuttle to Mendenhall and if nice take the tram. There are vendor booths on the dock that will sell tours also..

Skagway-there is the train this year I am booking with Chilkoot Tours for the bus/train combo they use smaller buses/vans, last summer I booked through the cruise line, I have done the Glacier Point Wildnerss Safari it is a great tour (not so sure I may not try and switch to this one again lol) booked through cruise line last time.

ATTN: NEWLKAT: how was the Deadliest Catch Tour? did you find it 'worthwhile'? appreciate your feedback, what you liked/disliked about it - thank you.

Both times in Victoria, BC even with late ship arrival there at 6pm or 7 pm (don't recall exactly) we went to Buchard Gardens and would do it again if ever there. First time we just got on a tour van offering the trip outside the pier, second time we had significant amount of On Board Credit still left, so we booked a cruise ship tour (that was on Holland America ship). We actually liked cruise ship excursion more. Drive to the gardens is about 40 min each way through town of Victoria, which is beautiful, and then on through surrounding areas, not less impressive. Drive is narrated. We had good guides both times (ship cruise tour had a more interesting narration). On a way back you are driven through town again with night lights on now. Google pictures of Victoria, BC at night so you can see how beautiful it is.

If you are doing too many tours elsewhere and looking to just wing it in one of the ports, IMHO Ketchikan is a good place to do so. We have been there twice. Ship docks practically in town. First time we booked van tour right outside the ship on a pier, which took us around with a stop at one of the Totem parks, which was the best part of the tour. Then they left us in town center (15 min leisurely work to the pier) and we realized how easily walk-able the area is. Next time in Ketchikan we walked the Creek Street, visited numerous souvenir and artisan shops in town, came across a glass elevator which took us up to what's called a Fox Lodge ($2 or so per person fee). At the lodge there is small native people exhibition and small park with five or so Totem poles. There is delicious coffee there as well in a coffee shop in a lobby. Free WIFI, comfy chairs in a lobby, clean bathrooms. Cool gift shop. So Lodge is a nice place to take a break from walking, relax. Now this is only if you are in town half a day like we were on both cruises (7am to 1pm). Of course, if you are there a full day, you can do above and tour. This time around we are considering Misty Fjords Float plane tour.

In Juneau the first time around we booked a combination whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour through cruise ship. We thought tour was well organised and good intro to things one can do in Juneau. Second time around we bought ship transfer to Mendenhall (same money as shuttle on a pier) and Tram ticket. Taking gondola up the mountain(tram) was really nice, beautiful views. Word of warning: getting down on a tram took us over an hour in line, so plan accordingly.

In Skagway we took White Pass train round trip through cruise ship. It was one of our favorite excursions. Beautiful views. It was first time in AK, last minute booked cruise (under a month to sailing), so could't do much research. If I were to go to Skagway again, I would book train / bus combo mentioned above for variable perspective.

All good suggestions. Just remember that it is Alaska and it rains lots there. If you book an airplane or helicopter tour, be prepared for the possibility that it will be cancelled because of rain or fog. Have a backup plan.

ATTN: NEWLKAT: how was the Deadliest Catch Tour? did you find it 'worthwhile'? appreciate your feedback, what you liked/disliked about it - thank you.

yes it was pouring rain the day we were in Ketchikan, they have covered seating, and little heaters so you could be comfortable. I found it interesting seeing how the crabbing nets worked, and the stories they told. They do take you out to a place where they can legally feed Bald Eagles, can you say have your camera ready for the perfect Eagle pic, not sure if my pic will come through.

19598762_1452088544811829_3750966132310189740_n.jpg.a821e7b6ceca345fdf6b017630ff548e.jpg

Thank you all. This gives me some good ideas. It is just my daughter and myself and have never really traveled alone with her (she's 22). I'll consider venturing out to some of these interesting suggestions. Has anyone done the glacier dog sledding or any dog sledding? Is it worth it? Thanks again.

We did the Deadliest Catch excursion a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Good interaction with marine critters and some eagle viewing, great stories from the crew and the ship was configured to keep guests protected in wetter weather.

• 2 weeks later...
Would booking in May for a July 2018 cruise be considered last minute? I guess it would. I hadn’t considered that when we were deciding.

Will I be locked out of a lot of excursions?

It depends upon your cruise. I just took a look at the available excursions for my June cruise, and there are a ton still available, including two I thought would sell out quickly.

Well, I booked today for the July 25 sailing. I’ve never booked this late before- I had to pay the total today! I can’t tell if some excursions are gone so I guess ingnorance is bliss. There are still the plane and helicopter ones that my husband will be interested in.