Renting a car

2paradise

We will be in San Juan for 2 days before a cruise. We are thinking of renting a car. The two area we want to explore are OSJ and the Rainforest.

Any reason why we should not rent a car? Or anything to be mindful of?

Thank you!

I rented a car in San Juan in December. I had hoped to visit the rain forest, but it was still closed. Thus, I only drove locally. The only problem we had was dropping part of our group off at the cruise port. No traffic control. 4 vehicles trying to get into 2 lanes, and we got rubbed. Fortunately, it buffed out, so no penalty.

Many traffic lights were not functional in December. I would hope they are fixed now. Signs were down too, making it difficult to know where to go. GPS on my phone was very helpful. We didn't have any difficulty, but I was very careful. Stop signs are only suggestions to many.

It was better than driving in Mexico!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you stay in Old San Juan, you don't need a car to see it.

So you only need a car to go see the El Yunque, which keeps the reservation down to a very short time. We've picked cars up at the Sheraton Old San Juan a few times- so you can pick up and drop right back off there. I think it would be more economical to stay in Old San Juan vs. anywhere else and drive there (paying for parking and an extra day or two of a rental car).

I am one that always has to drive wherever we go. However, Puerto Rico (2000) scared me way too much to drive there! People driving on 6 -8 lanes with speeds like it's the autobahn then someone in the center lane slams on the brakes to pick up a hitchhiker? Uh, uh! I kept my eyes closed on all the major roads which is what we had to take to get to El Yunque. (Funny you say that Pete98 - my experience in Mexico (2006) was that the drivers were incredibly accommodating and easy going.)

We were there on our honeymoon in 2000 and found when we went off the beaten path driving & looking for non-touristy beaches we found some really neat outdoor bar/restaurants. All the locals we encountered were incredibly nice though we usually weren't able to converse with each other too well.