Taxes/Port fees?

tarjan

I am a bit baffled by the differences I am seeing in prices. So far I have seen everything from 87.50 per person to 270 per person, on the same cruise with the same room.

Which is right? In this case I am talking about the jewel trip going out on the 26th of feb. Hits san juan, st johns, st. thomas and GSC out of miami.

What I find annoying is that the total price from multiple a places all totals to about the same amount. So if one place quotes X cruise fee + Z taxes, with a total of Y, place two will quote R cruise fee + S Taxes but it will still equal Y total cost.

Im not naming names or prices, so hopefully this isn't against board policy.

This is all for the exact same room.

On-line agencies advertise in different ways. Some may want to "hook" you by giving you a lower price up-front, then you find the "Real" price when you go to book.

Taxes and fees.......bome bundle them together.......some break them out.

also remember that "port fees" are now also called non-commissonable fare and includes expendibles like fuel etc. The term "port fees" is somewhat an obsolete term...but it is still used. Taxes are just that and are very small, the port charges are lumped into the "non-commissionable" and it means just that no commission is paid to the TA for that portion of the fare

I wish there were some rule (or regulation) that all quoted prices include ALL mandatory charges (excluding tips). And while I'm not a big fan of govt rules, I would like to see everyone quoting from the same basis, and feel in this case, it would be good for the consumers.

A couple years ago, it seemed that more and more sites were quoting fares that way (giving a bottom line price), but lately it seems the old way of showing a "low ball" price without any taxes is coming into play again.

Oh well, I can dream

-Monte

Archived