Bring my own glass

crazycath

Interesting question....our early Carnival cruises (early 80's) they gave away real glass glasses. Then they moved to colored plastic glasses that seem to change color and shape each year, probably based upon what kind of deal they get from their distributor.

Take it...the worst that can happen is that someone says it isn't the right one, but then again, you might get lucky on refills.

Mark T.

Ah yes, I remember those glass glasses.:) Actually, the shape stays the same, but the color changes daily, for the Drink of the Day.

If you want to go to the trouble of taking an old glass onboard, it's up to you, although you won't be saving much. (You can get DOTDs for $4.75 in a plain glass, where the ones in the colorful plastic glasses are around $6.25.) Prices may not be exact...I'm old and the memory fades.:D

Ah yes, I remember those glass glasses.:) Actually, the shape stays the same, but the color changes daily, for the Drink of the Day.

If you want to go to the trouble of taking an old glass onboard, it's up to you, although you won't be saving much. (You can get DOTDs for $4.75 in a plain glass, where the ones in the colorful plastic glasses are around $6.25.) Prices may not be exact...I'm old and the memory fades.:D

That's ridiculously expensive, if you ask me. I'm going on my first cruise soon, but I am still a bit sad that I couldn't book another three weeks at my favorite all inclusive in Antigua instead, where absolutely EVERYthing is included, and there is a strict no-tipping policy (which everybody ignores, we gotta reward our favorties). I want to try cruising, because I'm far less agile after a back surgery, so this just may be my future mode of travel, for good. I'm not like a drunk or anything, but I certainly like my cocktails on vacation, and I'm cringing already at my potential bar bill. I have as much money as the next person, but I want to spend it on stuff for my friends and family and things to decorate my home. I did taxes for the Hilton chain, and their drinks are very expensive too, but theirtotal cost per drink, including labor, is exactly 18 %, all the rest is profit. If you add on the 15% tip, you are paying exactly 101% of the cost of the drink, a bit excessive, if you ask me. Especially since they have the monopoly on liquor and forbid you to bring your own, even to have a nightcap in your cabin. I know I shouldn't carp about it if I haven't even done it yet, but I still think I have the right to say that the drinks on these boats are too expensive, and you should be able to bring at least one bottle of liquor to keep in your room. Anyone agree with that?

Actually-the shape can change. :) On the Elation I got 2 different sized glasses-one was 'tall' with a Bahama Mama, the other what looked like a Bourbon glass when I ordered an Ultimate Suntan (MMMMmmmm, I must say), both were clear. I saw other people on the same ship with the 'tall' glasses, but they were pink plastic.

I can't remember who, but another poster on this board mentioned that she's been bringing her old glass everytime. I say stick some clean socks in the glass to save some room in the bag, and take it with you!

As well-there's always leftover glasses lying around the deck (I saw 8 in a period of 5 minutes one day). If you take one, ask a bartender for a new one (you dropped yours or something to that effect) and you can save room in your bag! ;)

Hi Beachbummmmm,

Just wanted to let you know, be prepared for your bar bill. For two of us on a 7 day, it was over $800. We have done all-inclusives as well, but I like cruising a lot better, and the cost actually is quite even in the end. We travel with others who like AI better, so you may not be converted, but just have fun! If you plan to spend a certain amount, you won't be as freaked out when you see your bill. Also, be creative when packing ;) , it can help a little. Have a good time!! Kristin

Hi Beachbummmmm,

Just wanted to let you know, be prepared for your bar bill. For two of us on a 7 day, it was over $800. We have done all-inclusives as well, but I like cruising a lot better, and the cost actually is quite even in the end. We travel with others who like AI better, so you may not be converted, but just have fun! If you plan to spend a certain amount, you won't be as freaked out when you see your bill. Also, be creative when packing ;) , it can help a little. Have a good time!! Kristin

We have friends who bring vodka, gin, white rum or other types of "clear" alcohol in a large water bottle packed in their luggage. They then mix with either coke or one of the "free" drinks like fruit punch, orange juice etc... and they have before and after dinner drinks in their cabins. Every adult is allowed to "carry on" a bottle of champayne or wine to toast the cruise so every adult in our party does so - we open one a night before dinner. (Be sure to bring a cork screw!) ;)

Go ahead and take your glass and see what happens. On my first cruise they changed the color of the glass each day. But on more recent cruises, the color has stayed the same - yellow on my last cruise. Someone in our group bought one drink of the day glass and was able to use it for refills the whole cruise. I think it just depends on whatever they have on hand. It's worth a try!

We have friends who bring vodka, gin, white rum or other types of "clear" alcohol in a large water bottle packed in their luggage. They then mix with either coke or one of the "free" drinks like fruit punch, orange juice etc... and they have before and after dinner drinks in their cabins. Every adult is allowed to "carry on" a bottle of champayne or wine on to toast the cruise so every adult in our party does so - we open one a night before dinner. (Be sure to bring a cork screw!) ;)

We packed vodka and Malibu in water bottles. Also brought pineapple and cranberry juice, made cocktails in our room in the Drink of the Day glasses that we got the first day, and walked around with them. Just so happened they were the exact color of that day's Drink of the Day. In the future I would wait for the opaque glasses, so we wouldn't have to worry about "blending in" with the crowd. We hung out in the room one day and played cards; it was nice to have our own "bar".

Thanks for the advice, BarkingOwl. I'm not a very good "sneaker", got caught every time I did anything wrong growing up, but I'll definately give it a try. Where I live, in Gulf Coast Florida,(Tampa Bay), the drinks are like really cheap, even in nicer places. I can't remember spending $7.00 for one, unless it was at the airport. Luckily, I can skip the airports this time since my cruise ship leaves from my "back yard". Boyfriend can drive me there and pick me up. Cool, hey? Hope the Ryndam is as nice as everyone says it is....B.B.

BBummm - I think the Drink of the Day is more expensive than a regular hiball purchased in one of the ship's lounges. However, the average drink here on the coast, as well as in N.O., is around $6-7.

About those colored glasses - When I was on the Paradise in November, every day was a different color glass - and all the glasses were the 'hurricane' style. (I'm talking about the drinks the waiters walk around with on deck.)

Hey, Beach Bummmm...what is that all-inclusive you stay at in Antigua? I LOVE Antigua and am looking forward to visiting there next week on the Liberty. It's been waaaay too long since I've been. I'd love to go for a couple weeks...just don't know anyone who's been who can give a recommendation.

Looking forward to your answer! btw - have you ever visited Hans Smit's jewelry shop ( The Goldsmitty)? I love his work. I've got 3 of his pieces and am looking forward to brining home another next week!

??

Why would you bring a glass (plastic or otherwise) back with you??

Are you trying to "blend in" with other drinkers (carrying a Carnival glass so people don't realise you brought yourown)? Or is there a discount i you provide your own glass (and do they wash it for you in between drinks?)?

??

Why would you bring a glass (plastic or otherwise) back with you??

Are you trying to "blend in" with other drinkers (carrying a Carnival glass so people don't realise you brought yourown)? Or is there a discount i you provide your own glass (and do they wash it for you in between drinks?)?

Yes, there is a discount. The Drink of the Day is served in a souvenir cup for around $6.50 and you get to keep the cup. If you take the cup back to the bar for a refill, the reduced price is about $4.75. You can also ask for a Drink of the Day in a plain glass and they will give it to you for $4.75, but of course you don't get that nifty souvenir cup!;)

Standard, if not more here, also. Martinis range from approximately $9-$11.

Beachbummmmm..The way I see it is you have 3 choices: 1. Bring your own. 2. Pay the Carnival Prices. 3. Buy souvenirs

$6.25 for a cocktail is a standard price in most major cities. I suggest that if it bothers you that you try & pack some of your own stuff.

Archived