best (and worst) dining table location?

On Rhapsody of the Seas, I know when we board we can go check out our dining seating assignment. (Late seating) (First cruise :D )

We have requested a "large" table. I am not sure exactly what "large" means, I am guessing it could be anywhere from table for 6 to table for 10?

What I am wondering is: what should I be looking for in terms of our table's location?

What, in your opinion, is the "best dining table location"

Also, what should I watch out for (what is the "worst location") :confused:

And, if I don't like the location I see when I go check on it, I am guessing I can ask the Maitre de at that point for a different location? (Do I tip him for this?) (Will he be in the dining room and available for questions at boarding time?)

Most RCI ships have two smaller dining rooms that are to the left and right of the entrance to the dining room (lower floor). These rooms are used for overflow when the ship is unusually full, most times they are used as a work station for the waiters (fold napkins, polish silverware, etc). I would avoid these if possible, as you will ne out of the "mainstream" and unable to participate in what is going on in the main dining room. Also, the one time we were placed there, the servous was abyssmally slow.

Hypo

Most RCI ships have two smaller dining rooms that are to the left and right of the entrance to the dining room (lower floor). These rooms are used for overflow when the ship is unusually full, most times they are used as a work station for the waiters (fold napkins, polish silverware, etc). I would avoid these if possible, as you will ne out of the "mainstream" and unable to participate in what is going on in the main dining room. Also, the one time we were placed there, the servous was abyssmally slow.

Hypo

We actually were in one of this overflow areas on the Radiance. I thought we would not get to see the waiters sing & dance and would never see the Head Waiter but to our supprise we didn't miss a beat. We had a private show for the 7 tables in the room. We had a great time & even had a private entrance :D I do think we were put in this area because we asked for a table for the four of us in our group once onboard the ship.

Can't say we have ever been in a "bad" location but I am one to go with the flow and enjoy.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I've never had anyone ask about table size preference until last week when the Loyalty Ambassador on Serenade asked. I assume if you say "large" it means they'll seat you with other folks that you don't know to fill the table.

I've never had to change tables but I get the sense that the Maitre'd has enough problems getting people into the seating they want and doesn't have a whole lot of leeway to move people from table to table within seatings, especially if the ship is full.

usparky

Just home yesterday from Serenade!

Maybe I have ADD but I hate being in high traffic zones. People inevitably bumping into your chair, hitting you on the back of the head, bouncing floors etc. I just can't relax. So of course on our first cruise aboard the Explorer of the Seas they seated me right next to the entrance to the kitchen from which came a constant non-stop stream of wait-staff. After a couple of days it no longer bothered me - I guess I was more relaxed than usual - but of all the places they could have sat me, it had to be there. Next time I'll know to be a little more savvy and assertive about seating but if you want a place to avoid watch out for that table. It's the furthest away from the entrance.

The dining room on the Rhapsody is two decks and open in the middle. If you are on the bottom deck, you will see more of what is going on overall.

Since you requested a large table (these are usually 8 - 10 people), I assume you are social and like to be in the "action". If this is true, try to get a large table in the middle of the dining room. It is a much more "open" feeling then if you are along the windows under the upper deck of the dining room.

We always request the table in the middle of the dining room next to the captains table. It is usually 10 or 12 chairs and we have always (3 times now) enjoyed it the most.

Hope this helps.:D

The dining room on the Rhapsody is two decks and open in the middle. If you are on the bottom deck, you will see more of what is going on overall.

Since you requested a large table (these are usually 8 - 10 people), I assume you are social and like to be in the "action". If this is true, try to get a large table in the middle of the dining room. It is a much more "open" feeling then if you are along the windows under the upper deck of the dining room.

We always request the table in the middle of the dining room next to the captains table. It is usually 10 or 12 chairs and we have always (3 times now) enjoyed it the most.

Hope this helps.:D

Yes, thanks, all replies recieved so far have helped a lot! We are "social", love to meet new people to talk to, that's why I did request the large table, which indidentally, as another poster mentioned, was only becaused I was asked about it one day when I called the 800# to ask a question, and the guy said, "while I have you on the phone, do you prefer a large table or smaller table" (or something like that). I was so glad to be asked!

But, I am also a "people watcher", (and/or a "busy-body"), so I like to be able to see what is going on, rather than be "cozy" sitting on the perimeter. (Although, there are times, such as when it is just the two of us wanting a quiet evening, that I do like being more secluded).

I find it interesting to see what others prefer and the reasons for their preferences!!

Almost forgot, my follow-up question: Just as there are "seating charts" for stadiums and theaters, (either "official" or "un-official"), are there any seating charts that I can see for the ROS dining room? That would be great if there is, if not I'll just "eyeball it" when I get there.

I will also write again when we get back (21 Jan) and let you know where we ended up.

On three cruises, including one on Costa ,one on the Voyager and one on Princess, though between my wife and I we speak four languages fluently, we wer seated on tables with travelers who did not speak any of ours nor did we speak their languages, awkward on a large table but really bad on a table for four. It is bad sitting across the table from a couple night after night and not communicating except for a smile now and then.

....Ott

The worst place they tried to seat us was under the stairs. When we were shown to the table on the first night, I looked at the matre'd and said "I'm not sitting here" and just stood there. He found something else very quickly.

I refuse to be sat near a kitchen as well.

We were in the overflow room on the Radiance last January which was just OK. I wouldn't sit there again though.

It is called the captains table and I hate it. It is the first table in the middle behind the podium when u come in. Horrid location--too noisy and everyone passes by. Then there is the last table in the middle of no where we got when we were on EOS. It was us and the piano. I love near to the window, but have only gotten that once.

On three cruises, including one on Costa ,one on the Voyager and one on Princess, though between my wife and I we speak four languages fluently, we wer seated on tables with travelers who did not speak any of ours nor did we speak their languages, awkward on a large table but really bad on a table for four. It is bad sitting across the table from a couple night after night and not communicating except for a smile now and then.

....Ott

Ottmar,

What languages were represented at your table? Ich nehme an, Sie sprechen natürlich Deutsch? My favorites are German, Russian and Dutch...

Mark

It is called the captains table and I hate it. It is the first table in the middle behind the podium when u come in. Horrid location--too noisy and everyone passes by. Then there is the last table in the middle of no where we got when we were on EOS. It was us and the piano. I love near to the window, but have only gotten that once.

Does the captain really sit at this table?:confused:

We were assigned the 'overflow' room once on the Grandeur. After the first nite we hated it so much and we asked the maitre'd to move us. He did, and we were much happier. Do they have a room like this on the Voyager? I don't want the same thing to happen again!

Ottmar,

What languages were represented at your table? Ich nehme an, Sie sprechen natürlich Deutsch? My favorites are German, Russian and Dutch...

Mark

Natuerlich, Deutsch und English und meine Frau spricht auch noch Croatisch und Ungarisch.

Once was with a couple from Taiwan, once with a Spanish speaking couple and once with a table full of guys from a soccer team from Brazil who spoke Portuguese only.

We are going on a cruise again in February and I will ask to sit with someone I can understand...

........Ott

Last week on Rhapsody, we were at a table for 6 right in the center of the room (I believe # 156). We were very close to the bottom of the stairs so we could see and hear everything that went on, including the wonderful piano, violin, and guitar players that performed throughout the week. We were also out of the traffic flow so we weren't disturbed by people walking around our table.

Our last cruise was on the Navigator of the Seas and we ended up in a side room off of the main dining room. We sat at a large table with a great group of people but it always felt like we were kind of out of the loop. We all joked about being "at the kids table at Grandmas during the holidays". The only bad part was to get there we had to pass by a table with the "children from hell". I'm not sure how old the two children were...maybe 5 or 7ish but they were old enough to know better. The mess was so bad, that after the first night, the staff had taped plastic bags to the carpet all around their area. We had to step thru the mess. Food was everywhere. The parents just sat there and ignored the whole deal each night. I felt so bad for the staff we actually talked about slipping an extra tip to them as well. Sorry to hijack your thread!

Our favorite tables have been near windows. And we don't mind being near the kitchen - the service is often much better there. Our least favorite table was on the second deck behind the staircase, so we couldn't see anything else of the dining room.

Our favorite tables have been near windows. And we don't mind being near the kitchen - the service is often much better there. Our least favorite table was on the second deck behind the staircase railing, so we couldn't see anything else of the dining room.

I think MickyBridges and I had the same table on the Explorer. It is as far back as you can get and as close to the kitchen without being inside. We checked our table upon boarding and immediately tried to change but our only option was to move to early sitting so we stayed and put up with the swinging doors, the running wait staff and the banging of the dirty dishes being returned as they cleaned off the tables.

I was particular annoyed as I had booked the cruise a year in advance and felt I should have received a more desirable location. It did not help when I went to book my next cruise on board and was told that the table was usually used to sit the crew when it is not a full ship.

However, we survived it was only a few hours of an otherwise delightful cruise and we are days away from our 4th RC cruise!

Best table: anywhere and I mean anywhere in the cruise ship dining room

Wost table: anywhere near my kitchen

:D Lou ~ You got it right!!

We will be a group of 32 on MOS this summer. I would love a view of the water. I thought it might be nice to be on one of the balcony settings (based on the picture). We will be loud and crazy. Of course we think we are funny and most of the time we do not offend, however I don't want to miss anything either. Your thoughts on a good area?? (besides flames on my very nutty family). We are at home ANYWHERE!:D

well if you get 2nd seating you will not see much anyway cause it will be either dark outside or getting dark pretty quickly..

We had a view of the water on the Destiny, it is nice.. but the fun part is the dining room itself, and if you have a good waiter he makes your dining experience enjoyable wherever you are.

The best part about dinner is the people you are with and the food... I have been at a ten top with 4 other great couples that were fun and ranged from ages and cruise experience... The couple from New York was the funniest. I have also been on cruises where we have gotten up and asked to be moved cause of wild evil children at our table.

Best advise is make friends with the head waiter, he is the one that will make sure you get extra stuff, on our last cruise on the Voyager, he noticed all the men at our 10 top just tore up the shrimp cocktail on the first night.. he ran and got us all another portion. Every single night for the rest of the cruise at our table waiting for us when we sat down was the drink of our choice and a shrimp cocktail.

He was getting 2nds of lobster for our table before other tables even got their first serving...

We tipped him individually at the end of the cruise... That was before the suggested tips for head waiters was even on the list..

my advise is not to worry bout the other tables too much, if your family is there and they are loud, it is their money and as long as they are not outright rude, everything will be funny...

Have fun. it is your money

My Dw and I have been on only 2 cruises. The first was last spring on the Grandeur. They moved us from a table is the center to one in the corner by a window. At first, I was upset about the move, but after meeting the family that sat with us and our waiter, we had a wonderful time. The second cruise was in November on the Sovereign. Again, when we boarded, we checked our dining location and were seated at a large table. After the sai away party, we returned to our room and found the ubiquitous change of table card. When we went to dinner, we were seated at a table for 2. Now, my wife and I love each other dearly, but one of the reasons we decided to cruise was to meet other people. Immediately after being seated, I asked the waiter to send the maitre d.

I explained my situation and within 5 minutes he located another to table for us.

We are slated to sail on the Grandeur in November for its repo cruise. I just hope I don't have to do battle again. I have already talked to my TA and was adamant about being seated at a big table. So we will just see.

Archived