best (and worst) dining table location?

My family of four had a seating at the large table(about 9 people). There were 3 other families there, and it was cool being able to meet new people and hear how their day was, etc. We loved our waiters, and eventhough we were near the balcony (Grandeur), we were able to see everything and had a great time overall.

I think MickyBridges and I had the same table on the Explorer. It is as far back as you can get and as close to the kitchen without being inside. We checked our table upon boarding and immediately tried to change but our only option was to move to early sitting so we stayed and put up with the swinging doors, the running wait staff and the banging of the dirty dishes being returned as they cleaned off the tables.

I was particular annoyed as I had booked the cruise a year in advance and felt I should have received a more desirable location. It did not help when I went to book my next cruise on board and was told that the table was usually used to sit the crew when it is not a full ship.

However, we survived it was only a few hours of an otherwise delightful cruise and we are days away from our 4th RC cruise!

That's what I was figuring: I booked a year in advance. So then, how do they assign the tables then? It appears it is not on a "first booked" basis, otherwise early bookers would get the most desirable tables and late bookers would be in the "overflow area's" (no offense, late bookers) (this is our first cruise, but we might be "late bookers" ourselves one day).

So, does anyone know? How do they decide the seating assignments?

Archived