Stingray Question

TXMary

We will be on the Grand Princess in a few weeks and I have a question about the stingray excursions. My mother will be with us (72 years old) and she does not swim AT ALL. In the Princess excursion booklet, it says "water level at the entry point is 6 to 10 feet. Depth in the sandbar is 3 to 4 feet." Does this mean that we have to swim in water that is 6 to 10 feet to get to the sandbar and the stingrays? She is refusing to do the excursion because she thinks the water is too deep. The pictures show people in very shallow water. What's the water level really like?

Thanks for any help!!

Well, not to be pithy, but it is a sandbar. It's shallowest in the middle, and generally deeper as it tapers off along the sides. Tidal variation is minimal in the tropics.

How deep the water will be where your boat unloads varies according to the draft of the boat. Some boats can pull in closer to the center of this sandbar. Other boats must stay further out along the edges in order to avoid damager to their propellers, prop shafts, rudder(s), and/or rudder post(s).

Finally, captains need to keep boats in somewhat deeper water when waves are present, again to avoid damage.

As there are many factors that come into play, it is impossible to give a precise authoritative answer. A range is more realistic.

As someone who occasionally works on a boat which conducts tours to the Stingray Sandbar, I've seen us park the boat in water from 3 to 8 feet deep.

TXMary,

If it's any help to you, almost everyone wears a life jacket. I've done this tour several times and on occasion they let you off in water that is a bit deep. I've been with non-swimers. As long as they have a life preserver on (not big bulky jackets, but those nice yellow around the neck versions), they can just doggie paddle over to the sand bar. I think she should be just fine, especially if you are with her. Once you get to the actual sand bar, she'll be fine.

Thanks for the replys! Not sure she will want to do it. I told her we would help her over, but she still hasn't gotten over the Dolphin Discovery on our last cruise...LOL.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Thanks for the replys! Not sure she will want to do it. I told her we would help her over, but she still hasn't gotten over the Dolphin Discovery on our last cruise...LOL.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Many people go and stay on the boat. All of the activity and the sting rays will be next to you and all will be easy to see. I think the hardest part for an elderly person would be climbing up and down the ladders to get in and out of the water.

Many people go and stay on the boat. All of the activity and the sting rays will be next to you and all will be easy to see. I think the hardest part for an elderly person would be climbing up and down the ladders to get in and out of the water.

That's interesting. Maybe she would agree to go and if it's too deep, she could just stay on the boat and yet still be able to see them. The ladders shouldn't be a problem for her. She has no mobility problems at all. She just doesn't swim!

Thanks for the info!

Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting that photo! My husband and I really want to go swim with the stingrays, but since we're used to the North-eastern Atlantic where the ocean is dark and murky, we weren't sure what it would really be like.

This photo clears up most of my concerns. It looks so nice...almost like a swimming pool! Thanks again!

Great picture, Photocruiser!

Mary, tell your mom not to worry. We (DH and I) recently did the stingray tour. DH does not swim at all and was a little leary, but once he got into the water, all his fears were gone and had a wonderful time! The water is actually only up to your waist.

Enjoy!

I am glad my photo helped clear up any swimming issues. It is a wonderful experience with the least amount of physical exersion. Enjoy!!

Our guide had a photographer on board who put his photo of us kissing a ray along with a ton of other lovely photos of fish etc. on a CD.

Photocruiser

We just went on a stingray excursion at the sandbar last week with Captain Marvin's. My mom is 78 years old and had a great time! She kissed a stingray, and had it rubbed over her back! She loved them swimming all around her legs! She wore a life jacket and had help getting down the ladder into the water and back up into the boat. She didn't have any trouble at all. When we went to Stingray City, she stayed in the boat because the water is deeper there and she didn't feel comfortable not being able to touch the bottom. It was a great time and I highly recommend it!!!:D

Hi Folks,

First, great pic Photocruiser.

It seems like I've posted on this numerous times but I was so moved about this experience I think everyone should swim with them. On our trip out to see the girls we had everyone from 6 - 80 yr olds feeding, swimming with, petting, stinger kissing, playing with these magnificent creatures.

Once the boat is anchored on the sandbar, one of the crew (guides) will go in the water with a bucket of squid and shake the bucket around. The rays are very scent sensitive and in a matter of about 2 mins there were about 200 rays swimming around us. You are cautioned as you enter the water not to jump straight down coz if ya lands on one and scares the little girl you might...only might, getted zapped. When you're walking on the sandbar, don't lift your feet up to walk...keep your feet in the sand and shuffle, thus the term the "Stingray Shuffle." This way if your foot goes under one of the girls, she'll just get up and swim away. The stinger doesn't sting you per se. It is like a 6-8 inch extension from the rear of the body (almost like an extension of a spine) and is only used if they ever feel in danger...not on the bar though as they all love you to death.

Stingrays are very lovable and social creatures, and considering the fact that they have been fed out there for over 20 years they really are tame. Most of the rays you see will be the females. Out of all the rays on the sandbar/reef there are only about 10-15 males (what a life!!!). They are smaller and the females are the ones you see in the photos (3-4ft across).

To feed them (they suck don't bite) hold the squid in your fist with your thumb down inside the fist. Wave your hand back and forth in front of you and wait. In a few seconds one of the girls will realize you want to feed her, swim up to you and almost do a tail stand with her underside against your stomach. When you feel her start to suck the squid release it and she'll take it. The word will get out and in no time you may have several of these ggraceful and playful creations.

Caution...and I've said it before...after you've finished feeding them DON'T repeat DON'T rub your feeding hand against your leg. One girl off our ship did so and one of the girls came up to her thinking another squid, hmmmm and gave her some lovin'. She indicated the next day at sea that she had never received a hickey like that since her 16th birthday, and thus the term "Stingray Hickeys." Her hubby was in fits of laughter.

For anyone calling at GC, this is a once in a lifetime chance for many people to swim and frolic with the most loving creatures in the ocean. I felt very privileged to feed, swim with and pet (belly rub) these smooth velvety blue grey girls in their home and envy the people of GC who get to swim with them on a daily basis.

Yellow buoyancy compensators/life vests used on the excursion are not the bulky ugly things you strap on for lifeboat muster. They are light and can be inflated before entering the water down the ladder.

Enjoy the girls...they are truly beautiful.

Ciao for now!!!

Crazy question I know but...............I think we will be taking this excursion in March and I am very excited to swim and pet the stingrays but I am allergic to fish (squid included) and want to make sure that I can enjoy this without having to feed them. I can swim around them and pet them but won't be able to hold a squid in my hand......will that ruin the experience?

I can only speak for myself, but I've seen the stingrays twice and never fed them. I don't really have any desire to feed them. I would rather spend my time petting them and taking pictures. Even the cheapy Walmart brand underwater cameras take decent pictures and it is such fun to look back on them later and realize, hey! I really KISSED one of those!!!:eek:

Hi Rowlady,

You said you were allergic to squid, but you didn't specify if that allergy was restricted to ingestion (eating) fish or not.

If you are only allergic to ingesting fish, I wouldn't think that handling them would affect you, but you might wish to check with your family physician or allergist to ascertain the facts.

The boat is about 20 mins from the marina when you're out on the sandbar/reef if you have a reaction.

Not being a medical expert, I'd defer giving you an opinion on that. I have known people with similar allergies whose allergy was restricted to ingestion and have fed the girls out on the sandbar with no problems whatsoever.

I certainly hope you get cleared to feed them as they are the most beautiful and gentle creatures. If you can pat and handle stingrays (fish) I can't understand why you couldn't hold a raw squid in your hand

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Folks,

First, great pic Photocruiser.

It seems like I've posted on this numerous times but I was so moved about this experience I think everyone should swim with them. On our trip out to see the girls we had everyone from 6 - 80 yr olds feeding, swimming with, petting, stinger kissing, playing with these magnificent creatures.

Once the boat is anchored on the sandbar, one of the crew (guides) will go in the water with a bucket of squid and shake the bucket around. The rays are very scent sensitive and in a matter of about 2 mins there were about 200 rays swimming around us. You are cautioned as you enter the water not to jump straight down coz if ya lands on one and scares the little girl you might...only might, getted zapped. When you're walking on the sandbar, don't lift your feet up to walk...keep your feet in the sand and shuffle, thus the term the "Stingray Shuffle." This way if your foot goes under one of the girls, she'll just get up and swim away. The stinger doesn't sting you per se. It is like a 6-8 inch extension from the rear of the body (almost like an extension of a spine) and is only used if they ever feel in danger...not on the bar though as they all love you to death.

Stingrays are very lovable and social creatures, and considering the fact that they have been fed out there for over 20 years they really are tame. Most of the rays you see will be the females. Out of all the rays on the sandbar/reef there are only about 10-15 males (what a life!!!). They are smaller and the females are the ones you see in the photos (3-4ft across).

To feed them (they suck don't bite) hold the squid in your fist with your thumb down inside the fist. Wave your hand back and forth in front of you and wait. In a few seconds one of the girls will realize you want to feed her, swim up to you and almost do a tail stand with her underside against your stomach. When you feel her start to suck the squid release it and she'll take it. The word will get out and in no time you may have several of these ggraceful and playful creations.

Caution...and I've said it before...after you've finished feeding them DON'T repeat DON'T rub your feeding hand against your leg. One girl off our ship did so and one of the girls came up to her thinking another squid, hmmmm and gave her some lovin'. She indicated the next day at sea that she had never received a hickey like that since her 16th birthday, and thus the term "Stingray Hickeys." Her hubby was in fits of laughter.

For anyone calling at GC, this is a once in a lifetime chance for many people to swim and frolic with the most loving creatures in the ocean. I felt very privileged to feed, swim with and pet (belly rub) these smooth velvety blue grey girls in their home and envy the people of GC who get to swim with them on a daily basis.

Yellow buoyancy compensators/life vests used on the excursion are not the bulky ugly things you strap on for lifeboat muster. They are light and can be inflated before entering the water down the ladder.

Enjoy the girls...they are truly beautiful.

Ciao for now!!!

You sold me! I have been going back and forth on this, but you convinced me!

I did this excursion on Monday and it was one of those moments in my life I will never forget. Pictures do not do it justice. My nine year old who is very small managed to do it, and it was rough seas. At many times the water surged over my head and would go up to about 7 ft, so it was difficult to be stable. Still, it was an amazing beautiful experience, and was so worth every single penny. Bring your mother. She will not regret it.

Great picture!!! Ahhhh....I can't wait!!

I don't think that your experience will be less if you don't feed them!! They are wonderful to just watch swim past, touch...I tried feeding them, but I don't think that I need to try that again! I would be more than happy to swim with them again!!

We have swam with them in '01 and can't wait to go back on 3/30/06! This time bringing the kids!! (They don't even know that they are going on a cruise yet! Keeping that for a surprise!! They love to cruise and keep asking when they can go on one again! hahaha!! :D )

I know that our son will LOVE this, I know our younger daughter will love it, but the middle daughter...she had expressed (after seeing the pictures from our trip in '01) she does NOT want to do that...I told her when she gets the oppty some day, she will not have to get off the boat if she doesn't want to...but I don't want her to miss out in case she changes her mind!!

It is definitely something that should be tried!!! As much as I thought that is was kinda gross (some of those stingrays can be huge and intimidating) I loved it as much!!! CAN'T WAIT to do it AGAIN!!!! :D

Last August my mother (74) stayed in the boat, but had a great time watching all of us. The photographer even positioned all of us so that she is in the photo sitting on the edge of the boat. My dad (74) got in the water and had a great time.

The ladder was my mother's concern, so this year I picked Soto's, because their ladders seem to be more slanted (not just straight down), and they have a drop-down deck in the back of the boat, so there are only a few rungs on the ladder. (I hope that makes sense!)

All that being said---it was completely, totally worth every penny! This year we are chartering a boat, so we will even better be able to control our experience.

My parents and my sis (50) didn't snorkel at the second stop, but they still think it was an awesome excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

The Sandbar and the stingrays at Grand Cayman...

original.jpg

Our guide, Marshall with Captain Marvin's, handling his pet female ray...

original.jpg

Oh, darn!!!! I forgot my sunscreen!!!! :D

original.jpg

Do not miss playing with the stingrays. It's an experience you will never forget.

Bob (been there three times... going back again in May)

Archived