MSC Seaside - Aurea Spa Question

UmbrellaDrink523

Hi! This is our first time to sail with MSC, (sailing on the Seaside in June!). I pre-paid for a "relaxing wave" experience for myself and a facial for my daughter. When do you actually book the appointments? Is that something you can only do once you get on the ship?

Also - would my daughter be able to use the spa facilities/thermal area on the day of her facial?

And if anyone has experienced the relaxing wave, would love to hear about it! Is it two separate appointments for the facial + massage?

Thanks! :tropical-drink:

SaveSave

• 3 months later...

Now that you’ve taken the cruise would you mind sharing the answer you discovered? I have the same question about booking the appointment. I don’t want to prepay for the relaxing wave for my husband and myself if I can’t get it done on the second sea day. Also, how was the “dr consults....were they trying to sell you? Thanks!

Hi! I went straight to the spa when I first boarded and had no trouble booking my appointment. (I believe I made it for the second day at sea) IMHO - it's better to book before because it is definitely cheaper and being able to use the thermal area for the length of your cruise is worth it. The price difference for thermal area use is so different once you get on board, I was worried my price wouldn't be honored.

Whoever does the write ups for the spa services needs to get the spa itself up to speed, lol. I know the description said something about a "consultation" but that was never offered in person, and since I didn't want it, I didn't press the issue. There was also no "welcome tea." To be honest, I felt the language barrier the most at the spa with the aestheticians/massage technicians themselves. Everyone was friendly enough though, so not really a problem. And ask for more than one towel when you go into the thermal area. You will need it.

We arrived on the nose for our appointment - so that truly may have something to do with what I'm about to relay here - we were brought directly to our treatment room. Not shown lockers, not given robes, or any welcome tea as described in the treatment description - which has always been the norm for me at any spa I've been to - land or sea. (Maybe only the people with Aurea and above packages get robes from their rooms - I don't know.) Once inside the treatment room, it was DARK, and there was nowhere to hang our clothing or belongings. And by the time I realized that, the aesthetician had left the room. (after handing me a pair of disposable underwear to put on, :')) I ended up leaving my things on the counter in the room.

Aside from that - the relaxing wave was okay. The massage and facial are booked at the same time. For my appointment, the massage was first, then the facial. The massage itself was great, the facial only so-so. You do get a discount if you want to come back for a full massage, which I had considered but the thermal area was great on its own. I looked at buying this particular package as the thermal pass for the week with an added bonus of a massage/mini-facial. Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can!

Edited by UmbrellaDrink523
forgot some info

Also: just to add for anyone who is traveling with a teen getting a spa treatment - you will need to be in the room with them when they get their treatment. I'm not sure the age - maybe 16+ you don't need to be there, or it might be over 18. Also, on the MSC website, there seemed to be a lot more fun treatments aimed specifically at teens. This was just a basic facial - no extractions. I wouldn't book it again.

And a note about spa "specials" - I did not see any specials at the spa. There were no announcements or mentions in the daily newsletter like "book this service while in port for xxx amount off" that I've seen on other ships. You need to call or visit the spa to see if they are running anything.

The Thermal Area on the Seaside was amazing. Could get crowded and sometimes treacherous with a wet floor and people hopping from room to room (and the smoke alarm going off because the steam room door wasn't closed properly) but the Thalassotherapy tub was amazing. And you also have access to the outside decks on either side of the spa. (with the exception of the cabana area). I wouldn't hesitate getting a thermal access pass again. The snow room was really small but a fun photo op too!! :)

The Thermal Area on the Seaside was amazing. Could get crowded and sometimes treacherous with a wet floor and people hopping from room to room (and the smoke alarm going off because the steam room door wasn't closed properly) but the Thalassotherapy tub was amazing. And you also have access to the outside decks on either side of the spa. (with the exception of the cabana area). I wouldn't hesitate getting a thermal access pass again. The snow room was really small but a fun photo op too!! :)

Thank you for this!

Wondering if they allowed people to visit/walk thru the Thermal area on the first day as other cruise lines do? I've bought the week pass and will want to use it daily. Thanks for your review
Yes they give tours not only boarding day but throughout the cruise. I think it depends on how busy the therapists are and if giving you a tour will close a sale.

On a other note, this was the best spa I have been in at sea. Spent 10 days out of 14 to use spa. It is awesome experience. Loved the thallasotherapy pool, salt room and heated loungers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi! I went straight to the spa when I first boarded and had no trouble booking my appointment. (I believe I made it for the second day at sea) IMHO - it's better to book before because it is definitely cheaper and being able to use the thermal area for the length of your cruise is worth it. The price difference for thermal area use is so different once you get on board, I was worried my price wouldn't be honored.

Whoever does the write ups for the spa services needs to get the spa itself up to speed, lol. I know the description said something about a "consultation" but that was never offered in person, and since I didn't want it, I didn't press the issue. There was also no "welcome tea." To be honest, I felt the language barrier the most at the spa with the aestheticians/massage technicians themselves. Everyone was friendly enough though, so not really a problem. And ask for more than one towel when you go into the thermal area. You will need it.

We arrived on the nose for our appointment - so that truly may have something to do with what I'm about to relay here - we were brought directly to our treatment room. Not shown lockers, not given robes, or any welcome tea as described in the treatment description - which has always been the norm for me at any spa I've been to - land or sea. (Maybe only the people with Aurea and above packages get robes from their rooms - I don't know.) Once inside the treatment room, it was DARK, and there was nowhere to hang our clothing or belongings. And by the time I realized that, the aesthetician had left the room. (after handing me a pair of disposable underwear to put on, :')) I ended up leaving my things on the counter in the room.

Aside from that - the relaxing wave was okay. The massage and facial are booked at the same time. For my appointment, the massage was first, then the facial. The massage itself was great, the facial only so-so. You do get a discount if you want to come back for a full massage, which I had considered but the thermal area was great on its own. I looked at buying this particular package as the thermal pass for the week with an added bonus of a massage/mini-facial. Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can!

Wife and I had the three massage pass for each week of our cruise. Some days arrived early with a drink to relax in thallasotherapy pool or salt room. Was never offered robe, consulataion or tea. I guess I could have walked down from yc with a robe on. I did see some cruisers walk around with an aurea robe. I dont believe there are robes provided by the spa, you must use the ones from your room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wondering if they allowed people to visit/walk thru the Thermal area on the first day as other cruise lines do? I've bought the week pass and will want to use it daily. Thanks for your review

You will love this spa. We used it everyday! Plus the sundeck just for spa was a really nice quiet place.