Cash for kids on S&S card

Bulzie

I was told if you do not attach a credit card to the kids (18 yr olds) S&S cards, then you had to put $400 cash minimum on them? Is that right? Do you get that back if they don't spend it? Is this considered cruise cash or is that something else?

I don't know where you are getting your info but it is not a good source.

The simplest way to control teen spending is to put a limit on their S&S card. I have done this several times with my grandson. When he was younger I split his funds over several days to help him learn about budgeting. Now that he I older I give him X amount for the cruise. When it I gone it is gone. It take all of three minutes at guest services.

If you opt to allow them their own account funded by cash, Carnival recommends starting with $100. Any overage will be returned in the same form it was paid.

See answers in red

I was told if you do not attach a credit card to the kids (18 yr olds) S&S cards, then you had to put $400 cash minimum on them? You can include anyone you wish on your credit card secured account with a cruise long spending limit that you set upon boarding. This would make your S&S card the master account holder.

Is that right? NO this is incorrect, there is no minimum account deposit requirement as long as your auto-gratuities are covered. On a cash account once there is not enough left of monies deposited and onboard purchases will be denied.

Do you get that back if they don't spend it? Yes any cash, refundable onboard credit (OBC), or Carnival gift cards deposited and not spent while on board is refunded by check or new gift card by mail, if Carnival auto closes the account. Or you can manually close out the account on the last night and get cash back or transfer it between individual accounts if you don't do a master account for the family.

Is this considered cruise cash or is that something else? Cruise Cash is OBC you purchase prior to boarding. It is non-refundable and cannot be transferred between passengers.

Midway through the cruise they will deduct your child’s share of gratuities from their account. So if you just put a $100 limit on their account it won’t be enough and they will not be able to use their card to do or buy anything about halfway through the cruise. And their account will show its overdrawn even though they haven’t spent that much. We freaked the first time this happened to us. Then you have to go back to guest services (always a long line) and get their spending limit raised. So figure out ahead of time what their gratuities will be and add it to their spending limit ahead of time. Happy sailing. :)

Midway through the cruise they will deduct your child’s share of gratuities from their account. So if you just put a $100 limit on their account it won’t be enough and they will not be able to use their card to do or buy anything about halfway through the cruise. And their account will show its overdrawn even though they haven’t spent that much. We freaked the first time this happened to us. Then you have to go back to guest services (always a long line) and get their spending limit raised. So figure out ahead of time what their gratuities will be and add it to their spending limit ahead of time. Happy sailing. :)

That or you can prepay the hotel/restaurant auto-gratuities prior to boarding. Since these will be assessed on day 2 or 3 of the cruise anyway it will reduce the bill shock when looking at the folio spending during the cruise. Additionally you can prepay excursions, beverage packages, in room souvenirs, and spa appointments in your cruise manager.

I have cruises with my kids over 10 times on carnival. I link all the rooms and all the kids to my card and have never given them more than $25 (I’m a big spender!). They never charged the tips against this and the kids have never had an issue using their money. The only tricky part to this is that when you link to your rooms and kids give them no spending ability and then once you are on the ship go to the self service kiosk and place the limit. Don’t worry carnival knows how to get the tips from everyone on the ship and will take them from your account if you set yourself up this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums