Cabin change & luggage tags

skyview851

Hope there is someone out there who can answer my question. We leave on Zenith in 3 weeks. We have our documentation that came about 2 weeks ago & we were all set to go. Then yours truly had to complicate things a little. I saw a price drop on a better cabin on this sailing, so on Dec 30, we upgraded. Now my dilemma...do I use the luggage tags that have the incorrect stateroom on them, do I wait & get tags at the pier, or do I alter the tags that I have now to show the correct stateroom? Is there a "best" way to handle this? I have done my online checkin, & it shows the correct stateroom. Thanks for any help you can give.

Lisa

Rumor only: I read on CC that you could get them to do an online documentation with the new luggage tags (which would not have the sticky on back). No one elaborated. My travel agent said that Celebrity would NOT re-issue the documents.

travel agent said to use a magic marker and change the room number on the tags I have (I know that's no good because all the other designations would be wrong, and if you upgraded to something that had an expedited baggage delivery, it would not show on the old tags so I will not do that).

Others said no problem, just get them at the pier. This is the only logical one to me. but I've read here that sometimes they don't know what you're talking about when you attempt to do that! But that's what I'm going to do in 10 days.

Hope there is someone out there who can answer my question. We leave on Zenith in 3 weeks. We have our documentation that came about 2 weeks ago & we were all set to go. Then yours truly had to complicate things a little. I saw a price drop on a better cabin on this sailing, so on Dec 30, we upgraded. Now my dilemma...do I use the luggage tags that have the incorrect stateroom on them, do I wait & get tags at the pier, or do I alter the tags that I have now to show the correct stateroom? Is there a "best" way to handle this? I have done my online checkin, & it shows the correct stateroom. Thanks for any help you can give.

Lisa

Hi Lisa !

First off, Celebrity does a great job with luggage, so try not to worry about it too much !

I would recommend putting the correct cabin # on the luggage tag, by putting a sticker over the old cabin #. The only issue is, that the tags usually have another code which tells the luggage handler what "Area" your bags go to. (For Example "D9")..... And that item will still be incorrect.

I would also make SURE to tell the baggage handler, your situation, as soon as you get to the Pier.

If your bags do not arrive at your Cabin, you can also check at your old cabin location, in case they wind up there. You can also tell your cabin attendant, as he/she will see what they can do, to get your bags to your cabin.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Thanks for all the advice. I have my magic marker ready....I'll change the tags I have now, & will alert the baggage handler too. I've never had any problem with luggage on Celebrity, but I didn't want to make things more difficult for them either. Countin' down.....

I had a change of cabin, because I was upgraded at the last minute.

I did have a problem at the check in, the computer still showed my old cabin number, so I ws given that key card, had to explain twice why I could not accept it

My luggage did not arrive until 11p.m , I had made several enquiries for it but always got a set answer "we do have almost 4,000 pieces to handle etc"

I think you must resign yourself to a delya in receiving your luggage, and carry "first night necessities " in your carry on.

Have a great trip. I will be on Amsterdam going to Sth Pacific.

Several years ago we had reservations out of San Juan on a Southern Carribean itinerary on Zeinith. We got a call from the TA 48 hours before sailing that Zeinith was oversold (!!!) and they could put us on Horizon same date and time out of San Juan if we were willing to take a different itinerary (and they would refund half our cruise money)!!! We already had the tags for Zeinith on the bags....they were even a different color than the tags for Horizon were supposed to be. The advice we got was to just cross the the SHIP NAME and CABIN # and write the new info on the tags (I was sure our bags were going to take a different vacation than we were). But, right as rain, they showed up outside our cabin before we sailed.

I'd say to miinimize chances for error, handle your bags all the way to the dock. Get 'em on the ship and you'll be golden.

The first cruise we went on with Celebrity they did not send us luggage tags. When we got to the pier the porter asked us our stateroom number, he wrote it on blank luggage tags, attached them to our luggage and told us we were all set. By about 4:30-5:00 we had our luggage in our room. So I think you can get a new luggage tag at the dock.

We were in a similar situation recently: We upgraded during a price drop and had already received our docs. As someone else noted, even the color of your tags changes when you upgrade, change the section of the ship you are in, or change decks. We opted to tag our luggage at the pier instead of using the old tags. Everything went without a hitch: Our bags arrived in our cabin by 4 p.m.

Better to be safe than sorry: Using the old tags that are altered could confuse even experienced crew, since they are first identified and grouped by color.

As someone else noted, people who receive edocs don't get luggage tags, so using the ones at the pier are expected. I'd still take that Sharpie, though: A nice clear, bold hand will definitely get your generic pier tags a little better attention.

I was upgraded on the ship but the luggage was already in process so I just told the new cabin steward the former room and he secured my luggage and brought it up to me.

It is routine and happens all the time without much time lost. So, even if you dont mark up the luggage tags you will still get your luggage safe and sound.

I dont think there is much theft of luggage on a ship.

idssms

Archived