Alaskian Cruisetours

stampincruiser

Going to Alaska in August 2006 and was wondering if anyone has seen whales from the cruisership and what are some of the best excursions in the ports of call? We are stopping in Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, and Icy Strait Point.We are also going to Fairbanks, Talkteena,and Denali Park. Any information would be helpful. Also is it better to book the excursions on your own or threw celebrity? Thanks to anyone who responds.:o

We were on the Summit to Alaska last September and also took cruisetour #12. We did mostly Celebrity sponsored tours on the tour portion. In Talkeetna our excursion was the McKinley Jet Boat which was a lot of fun. In Denali don't miss the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We saw a lot of wildlife and the tundra is breathtaking.

While on ship we did mostly independent tours. In Juneau we took Capt. Larry's Whalewatching tour and saw a lot of whales. We had him drop us at Mendenhall Glacier and caught the bus back to Juneau from there.

In Skagway we did the Celebrity tour of the Whitepass Railroad. That was a wonderful tour. In Icy Strait we took another independent whalewatching tour with F.I.S.H.E.S. and not only saw humpbacks but ocras.

In Ketchikan we did an indepentant flightseeing tour to Misty Fjord.

All of our choices were great and we had a fabulous time. You can see my pictures of Alaska cruisetour, the cruise and also our post-cruise stay in Vancouver by clicking on my link below my signature.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you have, and I'm sure there are others that can help you too.

Garry

Going to Alaska in August 2006 and was wondering if anyone has seen whales from the cruisership and what are some of the best excursions in the ports of call? We are stopping in Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, and Icy Strait Point.We are also going to Fairbanks, Talkteena,and Denali Park. Any information would be helpful. Also is it better to book the excursions on your own or threw celebrity? Thanks to anyone who responds.:o

Did a few ship sponsored land excursions - White Pass RR a must as is the land sea in Ketchikan and we did a whalewatch in ISP fantastic pix. We also saw a whale on the last day in the inside passage.

We went to Alaska on a different cruise line in 2004, and it was awesome. By far, the best stop was Juneau as our particular ship was in port for 18 hours. In the morning, we took the helicopter trip up to the glacier field, and that was easily the best experience of my life. As an encore, we went whale watching inb the afternoon with a local outfit called "Awesome Orca", and I could not believe my eyes as Orcas came within a few feet of our boat.....later on, just as I caught my breath, we happened upon a pod of humpbacks that was bubble feeding, and let me tell you........you ain't see nothing until you've seen that.

As a side note, we did not book a single excursion thru the ship since the prices were astronomical. We did all our booking in advance thru the web, and it worked out great, plus it saved me about $1,500 (there were 5 in our group). I strongly recommend booking on your own.

Going in August, you should be able to see lots of whales if the the weather is good, and if your ship takes you near the face of a glacier, you should see tons of ice falling off. Hooray for global warming.... ;-).

We went to Alaska on a different cruise line in 2004, and it was awesome. By far, the best stop was Juneau as our particular ship was in port for 18 hours. In the morning, we took the helicopter trip up to the glacier field, and that was easily the best experience of my life. As an encore, we went whale watching inb the afternoon with a local outfit called "Awesome Orca", and I could not believe my eyes as Orcas came within a few feet of our boat.....later on, just as I caught my breath, we happened upon a pod of humpbacks that was bubble feeding, and let me tell you........you ain't see nothing until you've seen that.

As a side note, we did not book a single excursion thru the ship since the prices were astronomical. We did all our booking in advance thru the web, and it worked out great, plus it saved me about $1,500 (there were 5 in our group). I strongly recommend booking on your own.

Going in August, you should be able to see lots of whales if the the weather is good, and if your ship takes you near the face of a glacier, you should see tons of ice falling off. Hooray for global warming.... ;-).

• 1 month later...

Archived