Mexican Riviera on the Star

tequilamary

Would love to hear from some of you who are back from the Mexican Riviera recently. Have been reading the posts about the new itinerary with interest. We are sailing with a group on 2/5/06 and can hardly wait for a vacation. From what I've read, the new ports will be just fine. This is only our second cruise, so we are not seasoned veterans, but loved our cruise on the old Sky to the southern Caribbean. In regard to the itinerary change, I think if there is one thing I've learned in life, it is that nothing is certain and things change all the time. So make the best of it and the most of it!! Back to my original comment, hope to hear from some recent Star cruisers, or read something new on the review page.

This is a great site- thanks to everyone for all the comments and opinions!

My wife & I are going on the Star on 2/13/06. We will be getting on the day you get off. We were also on the Sky in Febuary 04 to the Southern Caribbean. I too hope we will get more reports from those just back from their cruises on the Star.

Charles

2-96 Sovereign of the Seas

2-97 Norwegian Crown

2-98 Monarch of the Seas

2-02 Norwegian Wind

2-03 Norwegian Sun

2-04 Norwegian Sky

3-05 Norwegian Spirit

2-06 Norwegian Star

Would love to hear from some of you who are back from the Mexican Riviera recently. Have been reading the posts about the new itinerary with interest. We are sailing with a group on 2/5/06 and can hardly wait for a vacation. From what I've read, the new ports will be just fine. This is only our second cruise, so we are not seasoned veterans, but loved our cruise on the old Sky to the southern Caribbean. In regard to the itinerary change, I think if there is one thing I've learned in life, it is that nothing is certain and things change all the time. So make the best of it and the most of it!! Back to my original comment, hope to hear from some recent Star cruisers, or read something new on the review page.

This is a great site- thanks to everyone for all the comments and opinions!

ask away - rgillihan@bellsouth.net

HI Ron, I woudl love to ask a few questions! Does the Star have drink specials everyday? Or do they suggest a drink but not put it on sale? AS well do u know if there are irons we can use or should we bring one?? Thas is it for now! Thanks

Thanks everybody for the responses. Did anyone go deep sea fishing in Manzanillo? My husb and friend were going to go in Cabo but with that day being shortened it doesn't seem like such a good idea. Did anyone go on the canopy tour in Puerto Vallarta? Also, did the ship seem clean/friendly to you?? Any rough seas? Any meals we CANNOT miss? I heard the fish and chips were good at the English pub. Thanks.

Lynn;)

Lynn,

The fish and chips offered in the Blue Lagoon 24 hours a day are awsome, I can't wait to go back and try some more in a few weeks.

We did the canopy tour, independently with Los Vernos, back and April and really enjoyed it, so were going to go back and do it again.

:)

We're getting on board tomorrow! Doin' the Cruisin' Dance to Jimmy Buffet in my head non-stop now.... I'll post a review when we get back. We're doin' Randi's HH, and possibly the Buccanneer Queen Whale Watching that Hova posted(haven't heard back from the co. yet, as we decided just yesterday to try this). Email me if you haven't heard from me before you leave.

Have fun!!!

We sailed on the Star 12/10-12/19. On the last sea day you could really feel the movement of the ship. I wouldn't say it was rough but pretty significant movement. You could really feel the swells.

We did the turtle experience in Manzanillo. We had a great time on this excursion. Got to release some baby turtles into the ocean. It was fun to see them scurry to the water. We also had a great lunch in a nearby hotel. Had time to sit by ocean or do a little shopping with the beach vendors.

We also did the whale watching in Puerto Vallarta. Saw lots of whales. Alot of breaching too. Fabulous to see these guys come so far out of the water. The gal guide said we were lucky in that we saw alot of different activities that day. A mother and her calf, the breaching. some interaction between two males vying for a females attention. It was great!

The Star was a great ship. This was only our second cruise with NCl and I'm not sure we're sold yet on the freestyle dining but it was good. We never had to wait to be seated and we ate at around 6:30/7:00 on most days. We did try Le Bistro and Cagneys and enjoyed both. We also ate in Endless Summer and liked that too. Versaille and Aqua were the others we tried. We wanted to try La Tratorria but couldn't get in cuz they were all booked up. You really should try the Martini clinics. We did that twice and enjoyed tasting the different varieties. It costs $15 per person but you get 5 small marginis to try!

I'll be glad to try and answer any other questions.

I can't wait to read all the reviews!!! Have a great cruise everyone, I can't wait to sail on the Star.

To the poster that might post during the cruise I do have a few questions currently I can think of.

Could you let us know what day is the bag of wash deal and how long it takes to get it back? We're doing Disneyland post cruise and it would be nice to have our cloths clean already.

Transportation to and from the ship we're VERY interested in. Flying into LAX a day or 2 pre cruise (haven't book flight yet) and then a week after cruise for DL. I have a ton of questions on this if anyone can help. How to get from LAX to room and then to ship and about where to rent a car after the cruise and drop it off at LAX.

Menus and freestyle dailies if you can post them for all to see would be great.

Also what you think is a good time to eat and also see the show, what times works well?

Any hot tub or pool tips?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Hi all,

My questions are...what time is embarkation in San Pedro REALLY now? Also, when was the earliest you could get off the ship on the return?

This will be the first time my DH and I will actually be able to enjoy the ship prior to sailing (as we'll be in LA the day before) and want to have the maximum amount of ship time prior to muster drill.

We leave on the 1/12/06 Star itinerary. Any info as to what to expect with the port changes would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

We were on the 12/10 sailing of the Star. The didn't open check in until a little after 1. We got there around 1 and the line was quite long. Took us about an hour to get to the front of the line. Someone said they were late getting in that morning but don't that for sure.

When we returned the ship was docked by 8 am. We were off the ship at about 9 - 9:30. We were the first colored tags called. The first 2 groups were the express debarkation and the group going on the LA tour. Your group is called to go to the Spinnaker lounge to see the customs people and then you have to wait for your tag to be called to the gangway. After your color is called you then proceed off to go find your luggage. We probably were across the parking lot at Enterprise by 10 - 10:15.

We were on the Star in June, 2004 and will be on her again in June, 2006. When we sailed her before, Aqua, Versailles, Endless Summer, La Trattoria and the Blue Lagoon were no extra charge. Is that still the case?

Any info is helpful.

And to whoever said that the fish and chips were excellent in the Blue Lagoon, I agree whole heartedly! That was one disappointment when sailing on the Spirit. They only offered the fish and chips twice throughout the cruise, for 2 hours each time, instead of 24/7 as on the Star. I hope they don't ever change that on the Star....I will be a frequent visitor to the Blue Lagoon for both the fish and the good hot chili! :D

Yes those restaurants are still free but you need reservations for Endless Summer and La Tratorria. On our cruise we couldn't get into La Tratorria due to the fact that they were all booked up. But then we tried last minute on a couple of days. Were able to get into Endless at the last minute with no problem. But that was at 8pm.

We were on the 12/10 sailing of the Star. The didn't open check in until a little after 1. We got there around 1 and the line was quite long. Took us about an hour to get to the front of the line. Someone said they were late getting in that morning but don't that for sure.

When we returned the ship was docked by 8 am. We were off the ship at about 9 - 9:30. We were the first colored tags called. The first 2 groups were the express debarkation and the group going on the LA tour. Your group is called to go to the Spinnaker lounge to see the customs people and then you have to wait for your tag to be called to the gangway. After your color is called you then proceed off to go find your luggage. We probably were across the parking lot at Enterprise by 10 - 10:15.

Things were a little different for us yesterday when we left the ship. When groups were called, it was to go directly to the gangway and the terminal to awaiting immigration officials. We did not have to go to Spinnaker first.

We docked before 6:00am, as crew had to go through tri-annual immigration check. Passengers were allowed to begin to disembark around 8:00.

We did the cruise returning Dec 3rd, on the Star.

8 great days. Went with my Mom and daughter (74&22)

We did 2 snorkeling trips. One in Manzanillo, where we just took a Taxi to the Beach where the Movie "10" was filmed. For$35.00 a person we got a boat ride to 3 snorkeling spots. It was great. They supplied the mask and snorkel (no fins). My 74 year old mother had no trouble snorkeling, at either location.

In Cabo we booked the tour from the ship to snorkel Santa Maria Cove.

It was fantastic, cost more though. The water was very clear, and lots of fish. My brother had spent a week here, and told us to get a Taxi to Santa Maria cove. When our port time was shortened, we opted to have a guarranteed ride back to the ship. (we could have done the taxi, and used our own gear) If I were to do it again. I would take the taxi, and use our own gear. (cheaper) The Margaritas, sandwiches and beer on the tour were great though!!! Plus, on the catamaran we went by lands end, the arch and lovers beach.

Unfortunately My underwater camera malfunctioned, out of 3 rolls of film, not one picture turned out!! For either of the 2 snorkel sites.

If questions........carrottop3962@yahoo.com

Archived