Snorkeling the Mexican Rivera

Mike sails

During a Mexican Rivera cruise in Feb. what water temps. can we expect to get in the Cabo San Lucas & Porta Vallarta area. Which sight would be the better snorkeling area. Will I need a wet suit at either location?

• 2 weeks later...

The water temperature in the mayan is extremely warm. I was there last year and the ocean was so warm compared to the swimming pool that we never used the pool once.

As for good snorkeling areas, akumal I heard is pretty good. Yal Ku Lagoon, Half Moon Bay

check out this link for other places

http://www.travelyucatan.com/div-3.htm#places

The water temperature in the mayan is extremely warm. I was there last year and the ocean was so warm compared to the swimming pool that we never used the pool once.

As for good snorkeling areas, akumal I heard is pretty good. Yal Ku Lagoon, Half Moon Bay

check out this link for other places

http://www.travelyucatan.com/div-3.htm#places

The OP's query is about the Mexican Riviera. Your link is to the Yucatan, aka Mayan Riviera.;)

Water along Pacific coast of Mexico is much cooler than Mayan Penninsula. My guess is it's in the mid 70's, rather than 80's. Snorkeling is passive, doesn't generate much body heat and 70's is cold to stay in too long. We used to go there often in winter, and I always took a 3mm wet suit. But everyone's tolerance level is different. Age has a lot to do with it. Be warned. Though I take my gear with me, snorkeling isn't much in both places, so don't have too high expectations. Water is too cold for any coral growth there, and that means fish are dull.

Archived