questions for Monarch of the Seas

Hi All,

Can you tell me if it is possible to keep your luggage and take it off the ship with you first thing in the morning rather then putting out the night before and wait for you color to be called? I won't lug it with me to breakfast, I will just wait in the area they ask, but would like to be among the first to get off the ship so I can get back to work early ugh (I live in Long Beach)!

Also, we have 1 of 12 in our party who does not have a passport, will this slow us down, or do you think she can get in line with the rest of us? Only asking because we are all traveling together and trying to condense vehicles.

Thanks for your help and Happy Crusing!

Chris

Hello, I sailed the Vision of the Seas in November and did notice some people with small wheeled carry on size luggage. If you plan on packing real lite and that's all you need, than I think you could do that. However, I think everyone still gets assigned a color according to your room. If your a top crown & anchor member or in a suite, you will get off first. They did have 2 separate lines for Passports and no passports. We did have passports and I think the lines moved pretty close to the same speed. We were in a suite and I think it took us a good 1.5 hours to get off and get our luggage. The luggage was very fast as they just lay it in a room right pass customs and you run in and grab it very easily. Hope this answers your questions. Have a great time!

Hi, I just went on the Monarch in December. I saw a bunch of people who carried off their luggage for disembarkation. I did that on my Radiance/Canada cruise. I don't recommend it, generally, but usually you don't have a ton of luggage for a 3/4 day cruise. I would never do that for a 7/day cruise.

As for the Customs lines, I will tell you that the line for having a passport is WAAAAAAY shorter than for not having a passport. For the Monarch cruise, both of us had a passport, so we were moved to the short line. However, when I came back through LA, after a Vision cruise, only I had a passport. However, because my DH and I shared a Customs Declaration, they let him go with me (in fact, they sent me back to rescue him from the really long line). However, if the person in your party who does not have a passport is not sharing a Customs Declaration, he/she may have to wait in the other line. If that's the case, I recommend talking to the Port official and nicely explaining the situation. I suspect that they'll let your non-conformist go through with the rest of you. It's all in how you ask. I found that the folks at the Port are very nice, particularly when you are nice to them.

Have a great cruise! I just loved the Monarch; I hope you will, too! ~ L

oooh, good idea about sharing the customs form. I think we will try this. Only 1 in 12 of us do not have a passport and I really don't want us to get separated since we are traveling together. I agree, the nicer you are, most the time the nicer they will be too. Thanks for the tip.

As far as luggage goes, I don't know what we are going to do yet, I may check at the pursers desk or ask the steward.

Just a quick clarification: I believe that you are only allowed to share Customs Declarations when you reside in the same household. DH and I have different last names, but that didn't matter. They seemed to focus more on residence. Good luck!

On our Monarch sailing last week, passengers wanting to do the Early Disembarkation had to complete a request by the 3rd night of our midweek cruise (Wednesday). We were then given yellow passes which were collected by the ship's crew prior to our disembarkation on Friday. We were told only about 350 of these yellow passes are made available.

I would suggest asking at the Purser's Desk about this when you arrive.

I just got of the Monarch on the 6th doing the Early Disembarkation. I went straight to the Purser's Desk right after getting on the ship and got the yellow passes. The Purser's Desk will tell you to be at the place where you boarded the ship at 7AM (deck 4 near the Purser's Desk). I got there at approx 6:50am and a line started to form. I was the 3rd party in line and the many came and lined up right after I did. We were told in line the Disembarkation will start at 7:15am and it did. Was through disembarkation and out in the parking lot at 7:26am.

Chris, I figure if you get in the disembarkation line early enough (6:50am or earlier), you will be probably be the lst person going the disembarkation with no passport and therefore will clear customs nearly as fast as someone with a passport. I used my birth certificate on my very first cruise with another cruiseline (Carnival) through Early Disembarkation and it only took an extra minute or two for customs to go over my birth certificate and let me go through on my way.

I hope this helps.

I really appreciate all the tips on getting off the ship early. Believe it or not, I was at work at 7:50am this morning!!! I know it sure spoils a great cruise, but I really had to get back asap and this way got to enjoy a great weekend also.

We went to the purser's desk on Saturday morning and he gave us the yellow passes to get off. We lined up at 7:00 (however, I think 6:50am would have been better), the line seemed to be more orderly towards the front. No breakfast, no time, no problem, like we didn't eat enough to last the next 30 days anyway.

Our party with the birth certificate had no problems either. In fact they didn't even have a line separating the passports from the birth certificates that early in the morning.

Just a note, they did want to make sure we could carry our own luggage off, all had a passport or birth certificate and all were American Citizens.

Happy Cruisen all

Now looking forward to my next cruise on the Mariner of the Seas in November with the "Hogs on the High Seas" (motorcycle enthusists) cruise

The part I am looking forward to is NO DRESS UP, only wear your best leathers! This ought to be interesting........

Archived