Xcaret vs Xel-Ha...Anyone been to both??

SMOADO

My husband and I visitied Xel-Ha a couple of years ago on our honeymoon and it was AMAZING!!! This time we will be taking our 2 year old daughter, 16 year old (my step-daughter), and my 57 year old mother-in-law with us on our cruise. It will be the FIRST VACATION ever for my mother in-law so we are trying to decide which to do. Xcaret's website is beautiful but I don't trust websites...especially after the hurricane!

So, trying to decide between Xel-Ha which we KNOW is great and Xcaret which LOOKS great!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:cool:

We went to Xcaret a few years ago, not on an excursion so I don't know what, if any, you might pay extra over and above the adnmission price at the gate. We (2 adults, 2 pre-teen boys) had fun, thought the tube ride through the caves was neat, but found the beach to be pretty boring and not that clean. The boys did the dolphin adventure and loved it. Can't compare it to Xel-Ha, although the latter seems to be marketed as more of an eco-friendly attraction, while Xcaret is more of an amusement park.

We have been to both. Xel-Ha is smaller with better snorkeling in a protected lagoon. You can float down the fresh water stream on tubes into the lagoon where the fresh water mixes with the salt water. They have well-kept grounds and dolphins. It is less expensive than Xcaret, but better snorkeling.

Xcaret is the Mayan equivalent of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii. It is very big with lots to do and see, including zoo animals, dolphins, a turtle hatchery, large butterfly gardens, Mayan cultural demonstrations, models of the major Mayan ruins sites, several lesser Mayan ruins, a parrot jungle, a small lagoon, an underground river ("cenote") that you can float through with snorkel equipment, a night show, and a reenactment of a Mayan ballgame. The beach area is small, and was deserted as it was being pounded by large waves when we were there. It is an all-day thing, with the night show and Mayan ballgame probably the best part. There is also a lot more walking at Xcaret if you want to see it all.

If you want to snorkel, I would recommend Xel-Ha. I would recommend going to Xcaret from a shore trip at one of the all-inclusive resorts in Cancun, Cozumel, or Riviera Maya. The short time in port on most cruises is just not enough to see it all, especially if your visit is to Cozumel where transportation to and from Xcaret is probably an hour or more each way, assuming you make good connections with the passenger ferry.

We've been to both as well - loved both. Both are wonderful places to spend the day. Ditto what Chalker Guy said about both of them.

Honestly, your best option on a cruise day is to stay in Cozumel unless you want to take the ferry over to see the ruins at Tulum or visit Playa Del Carmen. Xel-Ha and Xcaret have hefty (over $55pp) admission fees that make the few hours you get there from a cruise stop in Cozumel really not worth the money - you just get a taste and when you leave, you're wishing you had more time.

Do a cruise excursion there in Cozumel, maybe some snorkeling, fishing, atv tours, etc. then hit Xcaret when you're down for a week to stay at least in Cancun if not the Riviera Maya. You'll enjoy your experience much more at both places.

smoado-my wife and i visited x-caret in 2002 and made a full day of it. we too enjoyed the river float. the bat cave, butterfly enclosure and other animal exhibits were also fun, they also offer a stage show in the evening which is entertaining if perhaps a little long.

the following year we spent several hours at xel-ha as part of a day that included the ruins at tulum. we had our daughter and her family with us and had a very lazy afternoon on the beach. this seemed to be more of a nice place to relax while xcaret made more of an attempt to entertain you. i guess it all depends what you are looking for. of course this was all long before the recent hurricanes. good luck and have fun whatever you decide

Archived