Musts....

LovetheCubs

We are going on a short 3 day cruise on the Fantasy after our Disney vacation in July. This is a makeup cruise for our kids. We had to cancel a cruise because of work last year and another 2 weeks ago because I had to have urgent surgery. The third time is the charm hopefully!!! So we want this to be an amazing trip! Our girls are 6 and 11.

What are your must dos?

Any inside tips?

Anything we should back outside the normal items we wouldn’t pack that would make this trip amazing?

Thanks so much!!

This is a very rare cruise for the Fantasy (this ship normally does 7 night cruises), so we'd be guessing based on the normal Dream itineraries. You are going to Nassau and Castaway Cay. I'd stay on the ship in Nassau and enjoy doing things on board while half the passengers are on land.

You are welcome to bring your own snorkel gear for Castaway Cay. You must wear their (free) vest, but if you bring your own gear, use of the snorkel lagoon is free. You can also bring your mask and snorkel and rent fins--this option is not normally listed on line, but is available. Or do the package that includes snorkel gear, a float, and a bike rental. That will keep you busy most of the day.

Bring sunscreen! Many people get excited about door magnets, fish extender groups, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't do FEs on such a short cruise--lots of time and effort as well as hauling your stuff to the ship. Do laundry at WDW (there are machines at each resort), so you start the cruise with everything clean. Again, don't take ship time for this during a short cruise. I usually do it the night before we leave.

Sign up in advance for the Princess Gathering and Frozen meet and greets (you do this on line where you'll book excursions). Bring along a princess dress if your younger one is into that.

DO NOT try to cram everything into such a short cruise. Have fun, but relax. You can't do everything, so don't try.

You will be boarding the day we disembark (11-night Southern). I agree with Moki's Mommy, don't overdo it. It's a short cruise, enjoy yourselves and don't try to do "everything". I second staying on the ship in Nassau. It's not a great port and you can really enjoy the ship that day with it being a bit less crowded.

If your kids really want to swim, I recommend hitting up the pool early on embarkation day and early in the morning on other days (it turns into a festering stew of humanity later on the first day and on sea days). Take your kids to see the Kids Club when you get onboard (after lunch) so they can get a feel for it. Our daughter started sailing DCL when she was 5 (she turns 14 next week) and she loved it. It gave my husband and I time to enjoy the adult only areas of the ship (spa, adult pool, adult dining and lounges).

See at least one of the shows (all of them if your kids really love that kind of thing). Eat a lot of ice cream, order room service, try the drink of the day. Do the Mid-ship detective agency with your kids (a scavenger hunt onboard to solve a mystery).

You will LOVE It!

Kathi

either wear your swimsuits onboard or have them in your carry on bag; Right after a quick lunch, I'd hit up the pools, the Aqualab, Nemo's Reef and Aquaduck (before muster). 3 days is short, I wouldn't waste time on "exploring the ship" or waiting around for the cabins to be open - jump right into the good stuff while it's less busy.

I'd also recommend staying on the ship in Nassau - great time to do the mid ship detective's agency.

Make sure you've gotten a good night's sleep immediately before the cruise and plan on a down day or two after the cruise - you may be able to stretch bedtimes a little on the ship (let the kids go to the kids clubs after dinner and stay late instead of having them in there during the family activities during the day).

I wouldn't unpack in your cabin - I would pack outfits in large Ziploc bags so it's easy to grab, dress and go. Work out an easy hairstyle so you're not spending a lot of time fussing during the trip (when you have at best 68 hours total on the ship (and that includes sleep) why spend 3 hours of it doing your hair and/or make-up.

Look at the navigators and pick which activities are important or interesting to you.

Let your servers know that you're interested in a quicker service and they will move things along for you so you're not stuck in the dining room for 2 hours.

Order cookies and milk (or mickey bars) before bed and wind down with an on demand movie / TV show.

Be off the ship early on Castaway Cay day; get your chairs and start enjoying the day. Once you've had enough, head back to the ship. Bring some baby powder and a big paint brush to take care of that pesky sticky sand.