Wifi package??

abba1102

We are leaving on our Alaska cruise on 6/6 and I'm wondering if it's worth buying the wifi package? Also, is it better to buy before we leave or on ship if we do? Thanks!

As far as I know, the Alaska ships are all on the "per minute" deal. In that case, it is better to book in advance as you get the most "bonus minutes" added with your purchase. If you are on a US cell plan, the ports in Alaska will likely be included on your plan for phone calls and wifi. At least our plan covered us there, as well as all US states and territories. That means that you'll be able to use your wifi while in port if you wish, and we found it to be faster and more efficient than the ship's service. Just be sure that you are showing connection to a US tower and not one in Canada (which will show as roaming).

Worth it? It depends on your needs and desires. If you can just quickly check e-mail on port days, I wouldn't buy a package on the ship. It you have a teen who can't live without her internet.....you get the picture. It is pricey and slow. But if you need it, they have you over a barrel.

As far as I know' date=' the Alaska ships are all on the "per minute" deal. [/quote']

This post my mr. fishwood does a very good job at detailing which ships have an all-you-can-eat internet plan (vs. per minute)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56214459&postcount=9

Contrary to your post, two of the ships are cruising alaska for the summer, so the original poster could

have that choice.