Cruise insurance oddities

Tafia69

I guess it all depends on cruise company peoples' interpretation of company rules. It appears some will say" Yes get a taxi and we will pay" another might say: " Sorry we can't let you travel on the Intercruise coach due to the risk to other passengers, you will need to take a cab"

I wonder if the taxi driver was told the the reason as he could have been at risk too.

It may also depend on when during the cruise the illness occurred. Early in a 2 week cruise and they may be less infective to others at the end of the cruise than if it was later in the holiday.

I guess it all depends on cruise company peoples' interpretation of company rules. It appears some will say" Yes get a taxi and we will pay" another might say: " Sorry we can't let you travel on the Intercruise coach due to the risk to other passengers, you will need to take a cab"

I wonder if the taxi driver was told the the reason as he could have been at risk too.

It may also depend on when during the cruise the illness occurred. Early in a 2 week cruise and they may be less infective to others at the end of the cruise than if it was later in the holiday.

Very true - it's the details which make all the difference - and the minutiae are sometimes very subtle bringing about differing results. But certainly worth airing all these issues as it raises awareness and alerts us to possible pitfalls and perhaps makes us more careful in checking out or insurance and in the decisions we make.

To clarify matters I came down with NV around 36 hours before disembarking. Poorly on last day and got an injection as did the two ladies waiting for taxis to the North East and Yorkshire sat next to me.

The taxis were booked direct by PO and the driver told my OH it happens regularly although that was 2-3 years ago.

Ahhh..... now that does make sense. I can see how the responsibility for getting home if not on an Intercruise coach becomes the passenger's and not P&O's and explains why they would organise taxi transfers. Thanks for that clarification.

Still got a little query though. In the case of the passenger who had to arrange their own taxi, (perhaps booked with Eavesway), does it mean P&O told passengers they couldn't travel home on a coach which had nothing to do with P&O? Perhaps a public health issue? It would certainly not be in the other coach passengers' interests. But what if you were travelling by train? I'm a little bemused about how P&O could intervene and tell people that they couldn't travel by whatever means they'd planned other than for Intercruise coaches. (You can tell I like to understand why things are as they are - no axes to grind just a desire for logic! :confused:)

Perhaps P&O were just passing on a message/rule/regulation given by Eavesway? Even though Eavesway are not the official partner it would be in both companies interests to co-operate, as they do in embarkation and disembarkation timings etc.

I did wonder about those travelling by train too.

For anyone who has medical issues that result in significant premiums, if they are / were public sector employees (civil servants, local government, NHS, teachers, police, fire, Armed Forces, etc) which enables them to join the Civil Service Sports Club then the CSSC does an annual insurance policy which requires no medical declarations.

It covers people aged from 50 to 79 for worldwide cover (trips up to 65 days (45 for Caribbean, USA or Canada) with no medical screening, and covers cruise ship evacuation (but not missed ports).

It isn't particularly cheap at £195 for an individual, £275 for a couple, or £295 for a family and it is an odd annual policy that it runs from 1st April no matter when you buy it.

However maybe worth looking into for those who have had substantially higher quotes.

A very similar policy is also available from Open Travel Insurance if you are a member of the Women’s Institute. This policy meant I could continue to cruise when other companies were quoting many thousands of pounds or declining to cover me at all. I am not sure how they do it but I spent lots of time researching this policy and it is completely legitimate and meets the standards advised by Which?