Cuba Travel Warning

travel4f0ur

We are planning to travel to Cuba in July via Norweign Cruise Ship but noticed the state department increased Cuba to a level 3. Has anyone had a recent experience where they felt unsafe traveling to Cuba? Did you do any excursions not through the ship?

thanks!

We returned yesterday from an overnight cruise to Havana on Majesty of the Seas. Fabulous!

We did not book any excursions through the ship; but booked direct with Blexie Tours ($130 CUC for 4). Rode in a 1955 Ford for 6 hour walking and driving tour. Lester, our guide, and Junior, our driver, were beyond wonderful.

It was truly a wonderful experience and are making plans to return.

We stopped at the Hotel Nacional to book direct for the show at the La Parisien.($35 CUC/each vs $104 ship/each on ship). Styed after the show to sit outside the hotel on the veranda until 1AM!

Took a 1960 candy apple red Dodge convertible from port to Hotel ($10 CUC) Driver stopped to photograph us in convertible on the Malecon.

Taxi back to port was $15 CUC - really late so didn't mind paying the extra.

Havana was surprisingly clean, no street people, everyone very nice.

We have traveled all over the world and experienced hassles in Egypt and Mexico, but not Cuba.

We never felt unsafe.

We returned yesterday from an overnight cruise to Havana on Majesty of the Seas. Fabulous!

We did not book any excursions through the ship; but booked direct with Blexie Tours ($130 CUC for 4). Rode in a 1955 Ford for 6 hour walking and driving tour. Lester, our guide, and Junior, our driver, were beyond wonderful.

It was truly a wonderful experience and are making plans to return.

We stopped at the Hotel Nacional to book direct for the show at the La Parisien.($35 CUC/each vs $104 ship/each on ship). Styed after the show to sit outside the hotel on the veranda until 1AM!

Took a 1960 candy apple red Dodge convertible from port to Hotel ($10 CUC) Driver stopped to photograph us in convertible on the Malecon.

Taxi back to port was $15 CUC - really late so didn't mind paying the extra.

Havana was surprisingly clean, no street people, everyone very nice.

We have traveled all over the world and experienced hassles in Egypt and Mexico, but not Cuba.

We never felt unsafe.

Thank you for your great review and information! I was wondering the same thing as we plan to do the nightlife ourselves while in port. We also have a tour booked with Blexie in a couple of weeks and can't wait.

We are planning to travel to Cuba in July via Norweign Cruise Ship but noticed the state department increased Cuba to a level 3. Has anyone had a recent experience where they felt unsafe traveling to Cuba? Did you do any excursions not through the ship?

thanks!

As we were arriving by cruise ship we pre-booked a 6 hours combo city tour with havanacar Cuba ( 3 hours in 2 open-top cars and 3 hours Old Havana walking with an english speaking guide.

We sent a deposit via PayPal, and were met by our drivers in the square opposite the terminal. After a short walk through the streets to the cars we had a fantastic run-around the sights of Havana, including a well-needed and refreshing stop-over in the infamous National Hotel. All seven members of our party agreed the tour was a tremendous and value for money option (we paid more or less 40 cuc each for a 6 hours tour) for viewing the city, there were some jealous faces crammed onto the tourist double-deckers we passed with a blast from the V8! If you do nothing else in Havana, spend some money and do this!

I would not worry about this at all. Personally, I believe it is a tactic to discourage people from going to Cuba. I just returned from my third trip and there was absolutely nothing to worry about. Nor have there been any reports of any related incidents involving tourists or the public. I just posted a new thread about the great tour company I found there this time- I Love Cuba Photo Tours. I highly recommend that you keep your trip, travel under Support for the Cuban people, and book I Love Cuba Photo Tours for your excursions.

Just returned from NCL Sun’s 5/28sailing to Havana and Key West. Never felt unsafe in Havana. Used the HoHo bus, sat by a street cafe listening to music drinking mojitos, walked to Habana 61 restaurant for dinner, walked to the waterfront after and then took a private air conditioned car to the Tropicana.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taxi back to port was $15 CUC - really late so didn't mind paying the extra..

Hi,

Can you tell me what time the show is? We are travelling in September and arrive at 8am and depart at 8pm.

Thanks

Is the HoHo bus air conditioned?

No. It’s a double decker bus. The lower level was really hot. If you sit on top, bring a hat with a chin strap! Gets pretty breezy up there. Wear sun screen and bring water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums