Before Stabilizers

ARIZONASHOW

Dear friends,

I know someone who is writing an article about Atlantic crossings and cruising before stabilizers. If you have sailed on any ships before stabilizers were in common use - or perfected - please contact him and he will set up a phone interview with you.

Here is his post to Historic Ocean Liners:(Yahoo group for Nautical history buffs, like me..)

"I am writing an article for a national magazine on the positive changes

that roll stabilizers brought to passenger ship travel. To get the

best picture of what it was like to travel on a ship without

stabilizers - say in the late 1940s to 1950s - I would like to

interview anyone who has had that experience. I'm especially

interested those who sailed the North Atlantic in winter, and even more

so those who continue to travel on modern cruise ships, most of which

do have stabilizers. If you would like to participate, or know of

someone else who might, please respond by email and I will set up a

telephone intereview."

raoul1938@yahoo.com

or send me an e-mail:

beyondcruises@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Daniel

Tucson, AZ

Here is a passage from the diary of a relative on board the Mauretania in 1909, on a trip back to Wales from Kansas.

"June 20 When we awakened it was raining. The sea is quite choppy and the boat rolls some. Toward noon the sea gets rougher and the boat rolls a great deal more. There was church at 10:30 but I did not attend. This is the first day that I have been at all sea sick. I was not really sick today but I was so near it. I did not enjoy myself or care for anything to eat. McGuffy has been with me constantly and I like him better. The steward asked me for a quarter today and I asked him what he wanted and he said "a bottle of beer". Beer is quite as common a beverage here as I have heard it is in Germany. This is an English boat and discipline is very strict. Men are not allowed to drink on duty. The steward and I have grown quite friendly, and tonight he rustled some soft boiled eggs and some fruit for me. Verily, you can make friends with the stewards if you use big enough tips. Tonight we met the Lusatania westbound. Tonight I go to bed feeling a great deal better."

The complete journal can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/familyhistory/pages/jacobsdiary.shtml

Rick Jones

Archived