Corkage fee question

fntsysprtswidow

I noticed on another thread, that someone mentioned if you brought your own wine to the dining room, and it was a label Princess offered, you would not be charged a corkage fee. I know on our last cruise our server followed this practice. However, I got the impression from the looks and comments she made to the assistant waiter that this might not be precisely Princess' policy.

I've tried to find reference to this on the FAQs and also on the Princess website. I have not been able to confirm this anywhere. Not that it matters. I'll still bring my wine. However, I'm curious if anyone knows for certain that this is their policy.

From what I understand, there is officially a corkage fee that they are supposed to charge, but I've rarely see them actually charge people. We brought a bottle of champagne to dinner the last night on our last cruise and it was mentioned that there would be a corkage fee, but we were never charged it.

Sailed GP 12/24-12/31.

For what it's worth:

We were charged $10 per bottle at the stake house and the Itailian place (can't remember the name). We received a bottle from our travel agent while on the boat (I assume it was a Princess carried wine) and brought this bottle to the Da Vinci dining room where we were not charged the corkage fee.

Wine from your travel agent does not have a corkage fee.

I've brought wine on each of my 4 Princess cruises

1st cruise - no fee

2nd - fee for first bottle, no fee for the remainder

3rd - no fee

4th - fee for every bottle.

I don't think the brand had anything to do with whether or not the fee was charged.

I have brought wine on each of my Princess Cruises. Most times I have been charged the corkage fee. However, I have learned that the more friendly you are to the waitstaff and the better they get to know you..the likelihood of being charged corkage decreases proportionately. I also think the waiters with longer tenure and experience are more likely to "bend the rules" in anticipation of a bigger/extra tip. JMHO:D

I agree with Sherman! We bought about 3 bottles of in FLL prior to our cruise with the intent of drinking them on our balcony while relaxing. We ended up not doing this and instead brought them to the dining room (traditional) to share with our tablemates.

We were well aware of the $10 corkage fee and were willing to pay it. By this time we were already mid-cruise and I think because of the goodwill and "friendliness" of the wait staff (and maybe the anticipation of a better tip?) we were never charged for any of the bottles!

So I guess it's just luck of the draw!

but we had anytime dining in all 4 Princess cruises and we did not bring wines from the Princess wine list.

I believe it's totally up to your waiter whether he charges you or not, but the $10 corkage fee is their standard policy. So if you were not charged corkage, you have to thank your waiter.

The $10 is a service charge per bottle (even if one brings one of the screw top good New Zealand wines). Part of it goes to the waiter/asst waiter who would other wise get a part of 15% gratuity on the wine ordered in the dining room. One can ask the waiter to save the leftover bottle for the next day (whether it is wine you brought or from the ship). In our case, our table mates sometimes ordered wine from the list and sometimes brought their own and we did the same. So at our table of 7, we had two or three bottles being shared. We asked for separate glasses for white and red! The service we received was well worth the $10 per bottle. It is also customory to pay $15 if one brings one's own wine to most restaurants. On occasions we were not charged, we just upped the extra tip at the end of the cruise. Recently, waiver of corkage by the waiter has been less frequent. /Sultan

Forgot to answer OP:

When one takes a wine to the dining room that is on the Princess wine list, the waiter is not sure whether you bought it on the ship or it is your own wine. If you bought it on the ship, you have already been charged 15% gratuity and so no corkage is charged. The waiters often wish to give the pax the benefit of doubt and will not charge corkage if the label exactly matches the one on the ship list. We have taken wines that are higher end wines from a winery on the ship list. On two occasions the waiter said that particular wine was not from the ship list and smiled. On another occasion, the asst waiter actually looked at the wine list. We smiled back and said it was our wine. They did not charge corkage -- so at the end of dinner we thanked him and said we would take care at the end of the cruise! Remember if they don't charge corkage, the waiter is losing some $$. And the MaitreD usually likes corkage to be charged because wine sales and corkage add to his performance. /Sultan

Partial Quote:

I noticed on another thread, that someone mentioned if you brought your own wine to the dining room, and it was a label Princess offered, you would not be charged a corkage fee. ...

I can get some decent white wine at Trader Joes for about 3.00 to 4.00 - with the corkage of 10.00 that would be about 13 to 14 per bottle.

Before I drag wine cross country wanted to know how much the least expensive white wine is on board. If about the same price will just buy from Princess.

Would appreciate information from anyone recently off a cruise. Thanks.

Archived