Question - Galaxy Casual Dining for dinner

BrendaJ

Hi everyone

My parents will be joining us on the Galaxy in February 2007 and they don't like ordering off a menu, and would prefer not to eat in the main dining room. To avoid a long explanation, they prefer buffets. I know a cruise line with Freestyle or Personal Choice dining would probably be better for them, but DH and I are hooked on Celebrity and know everything else about Celebrity will appeal to my parents (my mother came with me on the Infinity to Alaska and loved the ship). On my Millie-class cruises during the last few years, I thought the only choices for a casual dinner were the spa cafe, pizza, sushi and room service, with the option of the casual dining alternative, which I assume still involved menus (the one where there is a suggested gratuity and you need to reserve a table beforehand).

I feel rather stupid that I didn't pay more attention, but on our Millie Med cruise a few months ago, when we walked through the casual dining boulevard before our late-seating dinner, it appeared to me that there was a bit of a buffet available, apart from the area where there is table service. This may just have been available on nights when the ship was in port late. Is there in fact a small buffet available at dinner time?

I'm afraid I'm just not sure what the options are for my parents on the Galaxy, although they are very early eaters and have said they plan to eat a big lunch and then eat their dinner at the afternoon tea buffet between 4 and 5. And of course, there are burgers (till what time?) and pizza if they need a snack later. They're not big eaters so I don't anticipate a problem.

If anyone knows if there is a buffet in the evening on the Galaxy during Caribbean cruises, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Brenda

PS For anyone that is concerned that their assigned waiter and bus boy won't see them and therefore won't get a gratuity, don't worry. When we booked the Galaxy cruise while on board Millennium, the cruise sales person told us that we could tell the maitre d' that my parents don't need a dining room assignment, and he would give their spot away. I have also told our travel agent that they don't want to be assigned a dining room seating, but I have a feeling that something this out of the ordinary is better handled on board and that they will likely end up with a card showing their assigned table in their cabin. If they are assigned seats at our table anyways and their seats remain empty, we will be sure to tip the waiter and bus boy the recommended amount for them, since the staff shouldn't have to suffer, and I know my parents will be tipping in person wherever they eat, since they tip at all-inclusive resorts where it isn't expected.

In keeping with the higher lever of service, Celebrity does not really have a dinner buffet. Casual dining means you don't have to get dressed up. If you want to use the casual dinner option you are actually supposed to call ahead for a reservation, although I doubt you would be turned away if you just showed up. When you arrive you will be seated and you will be served similar to the manner you would be served in the dining room. If they don't want to sit and be served there is always the sushi bar where you can serve yourself. I don't recall if Galaxy has a pasta station that is open in the evening similar to the Constellation.

DH and I love buffets (we had used them on HAL) and don't like the formality of the formal dining room, however, on our Mediterranean sailing on Millie the buffet was only open on the late evenings in port. The rest of the time the casual dining is in a sectioned off area of the buffet restaurant. The area is set with tablecloths and silverware and is very nice. You order from a menu that has around five entrees (selection of chicken, fish, meat, pasta - DH even had pizza a couple of nights - along with salads and desserts). We called in our reservation when we got up in the morning (usually for 7:30 p.m.). At any one time there were around 10-15 tables occupied so it was very quiet. The bonus is everyone has a view out the windows so we saw some beautiful sunsets. There were always empty tables so I imagine you could have shown up without a reservation and still been served. It is suggested you leave a $2 tip per person for the waitstaff. This area is used for formal dining room "waiters-in-training" so sometimes there were a few hiccups, but it seemed to add to the casual atmosphere. There was also a pasta bar open for dinners, but we never used it as we enjoyed the casual dining so much. They were very accommodating, example you could always get a caesar salad whether it was listed on the menu or not; I asked for extra veggies instead of potato with my chicken, etc. It made for much lighter eating than going through all the courses in the main dining room. I'm sure your parents will enjoy this option...we did!!

Lynn

Archived