QE2 Party Cruises

Kindlychap

Not having been on one of these before, I'd be grateful for any help with the following:

Is the single night cruise in July 2006 likely to be formal or informal?

Is there any difference in the ambience of the ship on a very short cruise?

How many "regulars" go on them?

I did a three night party cruise in 2003. My previous Cunard experience was a crossing. I very much enjoyed the party cruise. We went with friends who could not perhaps take the time or money for a longer trip.

A line like Cunard and a ship like QE2 attracts a certain type of passenger whatever the duration of the cruise. If they are partying or boozing they will tend to do it with consideration for other passengers.

The passengers will be younger and more likely to be new to QE2 and cruising. They have that excited awe that we all had on our first cruise. When you have a cruise of mostly repeaters they can tend to be blasé and complain and complain and complain. I rather enjoyed the atmosphere on the party cruise. Lots of people discovering QE2 for the first time.

The only bad behaviour I saw involved two children in the pool. The deck steward phoned for an officer and it was quickly dealt with.

There is only one thing I would say. I would be reluctant to take a one night cruise as the first night in the dining is never very slick and the last morning is always awful. It is the rest of the cruise that is enjoyable.

I hope to take another three day cruise in 2007. For 2006 it is ten days going to Portugal, France and Spain. QE2 of course.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I've taken roughly 2 dozen QE-2 cruises since 1979, ranging in duration from 21 days, down to the 2 day party cruises. The social complexion cahnges SLIGHTLY on the shorter cruises, but not enough to cause me a problem.

When QE-2 was doing one or two PARTY CRUISES a year out on NY, many of the persons aboard were diehard repeat QE-2 devotees who simply could not get enough of their favorite ship. Actually, I found the atmosphere on the party cruises to be a tad mor formal than tthe 4 or 5 day NY Bemuda cruises, if you can believe it (different kind of crowd, I guess).

Go for it, what do you have to lose?

One more thing: I have used the short party cruise to "try out" higher grades of accomodations that I might not have so easily afforded on a longer cruise.

Hi

l have done a few party cruises and booked on the one nighter cruise you mention as well as the 2 nighter later in the year back to back with a med cruise.

The cruise will probably be informal, how ever dont let that put you off, at embarkation you will more than likely see people who want do do things properly and will have ball gown in hand.... You will have the chance onboard to have a professional photo with a nice back drop to buy as a souvenir, so why not get all dressed up, you will see all manner of dress codes that night!!

The ambience is somewhat different on the one night trips as you dont really get a change to form friendships. As for regulars yes there will be a few of us onboard, if you know what to look for in the way of the old cunard club tie or possibly a discreet badge showing "the monkey with the nut" we shall be there, talk to us!!! we will talk back !!! after all we were all virgin QE2 passengers at some stage, and some of us never tire of the excitement of embarkation, the ropes letting go or even the mundane life boat drill....

l must admit in my experience the "booze cruise" is a bit unfair you wont see people goind round blind drunk. l would agree with Stephen re the dinning, it can be great, or maybe not so great.

But definately go with it!! a night onboard the worlds best loved and most famous ocean liner, who can put a price on that!!!! and it would great to hear what your thoughts of this grande dame are when you return!!!

If you want to know any more, l would be delighted to help in anyway l can, im cunardqueen@aol.com

You will easily recognise me at embarkation..... Cunard club tie in place with QE2 tie pins and bedecked with the monkey with the nut badges and the back of my jacket in huge letters QE2.

Dont expect to go at full speed, more than likely you will sail around 6 knots but in the July evening the darkness wont last long, but the memories will last a life time and you will more than likely book for a longer cruise.....

cheers

Myles

Thanks. It's certainly not my first time on the ship!

My wife and I thought that it would be nice to show our mothers the ship (neither of us has a father alive) which has been so important to us. So we booked the one nighter with that in mind. Then my mother decides that she wants to come with us to Norway in June, so it'll not be much of a surprise for her......

My wife's mother is that very night though, so it'll have to be a birthday bash for her..

My first trip was in a single cabin, and I've managed to get that very one for my mother. It'll be odd to see it again.

I reckon it's worth the fare just to hear the whistle close up! I'm not expecting great speed - but we've been on board on a fast dash in New England where we didn't drop below 29 knots. Nice.

I can imagine that they'll try to get the maximum photograph count in! I'm not too worried about the morning - the luggage fairies never come until after midnight after all....

I'm just hoping that we'll have the regular cabin staff - they know our funny ways!

Archived