First time saling with family of 4 (July 1 - Pride), what should I know?

nine9d

Hey all,

Going to be sailing with the wife and kids and not sure what do beforehand, what to expect, etc (I have sailed once before, but not with the family). Normally, I plan all of our vacations to a T, but this one I was kind of letting it play out. Now, I am not so sure. Is there anything in particular that anyone can tell me that I should know or do before or during this epic adventure? The kids are older 18 & 21, so it's not like they won't be off having fun anyhow. I haven't really planned anything at all, and we didn't even tell the kids that we are going on a cruise, lol!

Thanks!

IMO, you need to at least do some research on your ports so you'll know what opportunities are out there - whether to do a ship-sponsored excursion, plan one independently, or just find a beach to chill out for the day (that in itself can be a big decision - sometimes there are lots of options.)

I would read all the FAQ on Carnival's website and then research on the ports of call board as to what you might wish to do in the ports. If you want Cheers, then there is a discount if you pre-purchase.

If you really want to be prepared you can search for recent Funtimes for your ship to give you an idea of what will be going on during the day and at night.

I also study the deck plans as it helps me move around the ship more easily.

You will find many threads on here for suggestions of first time cruisers. Mine is enjoy breakfast on your sea and port days in the MDR. On sea days it will be their brunch menu and on port days, they have a new menu which has tons of options. Great way to start the day.

we are on the same cruise and have been on this itinerary many times. the first port is a pool and beach day. we just hang out and relax. port number 2 is a beach day. it is carnivals private island, the 3rd port is the only one with nothing much to do at the port. either take an excursion, or just get off and take a taxi to see the island. we usually just get off for a couple hours and then get on the ship and enjoy the nearly empty pool deck.

The kids are older 18 & 21, so it's not like they won't be off having fun anyhow. I haven't really planned anything at all, and we didn't even tell the kids that we are going on a cruise, lol!

WHOA. As amazing as a surprise cruise sounds, are you sure your college-aged kids can even just drop everything and go without advance notice? I definitely wouldn't have been able to do so when I had summer jobs in college.

WHOA. As amazing as a surprise cruise sounds, are you sure your college-aged kids can even just drop everything and go without advance notice? I definitely wouldn't have been able to do so when I had summer jobs in college.

Yes, I am sure. We plan many trips and both the kids are off from school and off from their jobs. We go on a family trip each year and it is very well planned. Thanks!

I am actually doing this cruise 2 weeks after you.

We’ve done it before. Just hang out at the pool at margaritaville

Usually it’s a great day. Then go for a walk... and the end of the ships walkway go to the right and walk opposite from where the ships docked.

It’s quiet and a nice walk. It’s rocky though

The beach in front of the ship is nice too

Be sure to download the free Hub app. It has an interactive ships map, daily events listed, restaurant opening times, you can view and purchase pictures taken on the cruise, you can view your account, and you can buy bottomless bubbles or Cheers packages. On the app you can purchase various WiFi plans that are more reasonably priced now and there’s even a messaging app you can purchase. No more carrying around the Carnival Fun Times (list of daily events) or a ships map. :)

Edited by cruisinqt
Spelling error

Hey all,

Going to be sailing with the wife and kids and not sure what do beforehand, what to expect, etc (I have sailed once before, but not with the family). Normally, I plan all of our vacations to a T, but this one I was kind of letting it play out. Now, I am not so sure. Is there anything in particular that anyone can tell me that I should know or do before or during this epic adventure? The kids are older 18 & 21, so it's not like they won't be off having fun anyhow. I haven't really planned anything at all, and we didn't even tell the kids that we are going on a cruise, lol!

Thanks!

We wouldn't tell our kids until the week before too, it fun to see the reactions. I like the idea to let it play out, less stressful. Review the Fun Times or the Hub App to decide on which activities you may want to do. This itinerary is one of our favorites because of Grand Turk, HMC, great days at the beach!

Have a great time!