Recent Dive on USS Kittiwake, Recommendations

DiverDown67

I haven't dove it since it was moved by the storm last year, but I know several that have. The dive ops don't tend to rush, in my experience, but some of that depends on the guide. They do tend to have a set route through the hull, though, which is safe for folks that aren't wreck-certified. Are you wreck-certified? If so, it might be worth contacting a few of the west side dive ops and find out what options they may have for you. Most of the ops that aren't centered around the cruise ship schedules will tend to do it as a one tank afternoon dive, so you would need to make sure that their timing allows you enough time to get your tender back to the ship.

The thing is, I'm not sure that the routine dives that are done there are much different. This is why I would suggest you contact a few dive ops. I have been out with InDepth Watersports, Divetech and Cayman University Divers and each of them do the Kittiwake, along with many others. I'm just not sure what the regulations are for wreck-certified divers on that site. They may know better.

After talking with a friend who runs a dive op on island, he says that if you contact a small op well in advance and let them know of your needs they will be able to plan ahead and can do whatever tour you are qualified to do. If you want to take 2 hours to see half the wreck, they are fine with that. They just need to make sure that no other guests are inconvenienced.

So I recommend asking around and checking who has a trip they could do to suit your timetable and your desired diving style.

Hope this helps!